The size of the envelope on offer day...

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
eal238

The size of the envelope on offer day...

Post by eal238 »

So.. after chatting to a friend about the frustration of having to wait for my DS to finish school on offer day, before we find out what is in the envelope (post arrives at 10am :shock: ), she informed me you can tell what the contents are by the size of the envelope - small letter is a no, A4 envelope is a 'yes'.

Now I am faced with another dilemma... If we receive an A4 envelope - hurrah - I know he has an offer before he gets home from school HOWEVER being able to accept that offer hinges solely on whether we have been offered assistance in the form of a bursary... We won't find this out until the offer envelope is open..

DO I open the envelope BEFORE he gets home from school so that I can better prepare him - and also inform other family members, so they know what sort of support is required of them - or do I just let him open it and whatever may be, will be?

Still so long until we find out on February 28th...
estelle

Re: The size of the envelope on offer day...

Post by estelle »

Not always the case. Our largest scholarship offer came in a small envelope! Best of luck with your offers. It's a stressful time playing the waiting game!

estelle
CoolMum5

Post by CoolMum5 »

That is not always the case - I speak from experience here. In any case, we let our DS open his own offer letters as we felt he had put in the work and deserved to be the first to see the outcome. However, we had been telephoned for early interviews and on the day, we were told he had done well, so I suppose we had reason to be quietly confident...
I had, however, prepared him for either outcome and I think those conversations should be happening in every 11+ household right now, to ensure that DCs have a healthy reaction to being accepted or not.
Good luck to all those waiting, it really is a very difficult time as we all want great things for our children.
eal238

Post by eal238 »

Yes, we have had countless conversations about the competition for each place, as well as the fact that there may be an offer but no bursary, so he is aware and will be some way to being prepared..

I know specfically for the school we've applied for, what the scenario is regarding offer letters though - we know 4 children who attend, two of whom are twins and one had a 'yes' letter and another had a 'no' letter (though subsequently got a place at the 13+ entry point) and all the 'yes' letters were A4 and the no was a small.. But you're right, there's the possibility it may not necessarily be the case...

I can't help but over-analyse everything and try and pick out things that could be of some significance - which is unhelpful. It's a long wait until the end of February and I have, thus far, struggled to find anybody up here in the North-East who's currently going through the process and works to the same dates! :roll:
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

At St Helen's, they said there were 3 possible outcomes - yes, waiting list and no. So I assuming the waiting list letter will also be a small envelope??
Greendragon

Post by Greendragon »

Yes, our "no" letter was small :( our yes letter was big :D
Saying that, 6 years ago for DS1 the yes letter was small :?

Sorry to confuse but if its a big letter then I would bank on that as a yes.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now