Bucks Selection Review number crunching

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

purplerabbit

Bucks Selection Review number crunching

Post by purplerabbit »

Hi,

Creating new thread as suggested. As mentioned dd got 113 with following stats

End of yr 5
4a, 4b, 4b

And working at levels repeated end of yr 5 levels

Predicted end of K S 2 were

5b, 5c, 5c

Although actual end of Dec 2013 results were

5b, 4a, 5c

And her mock sat in maths (only one I have results for so far) last week was 5b

The letter that came this morning has a series of options to tick and the one marked for dd is option 2 I.e. "Their view was the KS2 progress clearly shows that one level 5 can be achieved in KS2 Sats"

It seems they are working out their own progress levels and replacing those of the head.

DD's head is one of the panel members for selection review so this seems a bit odd to me.

I will aim to speak to head next week for her comments.
Sally-Anne

Re: Bucks Selection Review number crunching

Post by Sally-Anne »

purplerabbit wrote:As mentioned dd got 113
The score was undoubtedly a hurdle, but the rest is quite concerning.
End of yr 5
4a, 4b, 4b
Pupils generally progress by 2 sub-levels in an academic year, and predictions 5b, 5c and 5c would be entirely reasonable based on those results.
And working at levels repeated end of yr 5 levels
Hardly a surprise, given that around 10 school days will have elapsed in the interim!
Predicted end of K S 2 were

5b, 5c, 5c
Completely reasonable.
Although actual end of Dec 2013 results were

5b, 4a, 5c
Which suggest that 5a, 5c and 5b could well be achievable by May.
And her mock sat in maths (only one I have results for so far) last week was 5b
Recent progress, something that a IAP would take into account.
The letter that came this morning has a series of options to tick and the one marked for dd is option 2 I.e. "Their view was the KS2 progress clearly shows that one level 5 can be achieved in KS2 Sats"

It seems they are working out their own progress levels and replacing those of the head.
On what basis, given that all the information provided appears to differ with that view? Oh, but I'm assuming that there is no further information about that in the Clerk's record?
DD's head is one of the panel members for selection review so this seems a bit odd to me.

I will aim to speak to head next week for her comments.
She won't have been involved in the Review herself, but it would be helpful to know whether she feels comfortable with her professional judgement being overridden.
purplerabbit

Post by purplerabbit »

Thanks Sally-Anne

There are no further notes on the letter and dd did not have any extenuating circumstances.

I know that head would not have been involved in this review but she did give a very strong note of support and gave dd a 2.2 recommendation. She had 6 1.1s all but one of which passed but she was v reluctant to give me any other stats when we met in October.

I did request a raw score analysis but there is no mention of this in the decision. Having said that I did request it very late and I'd need to check dates as to whether this was actually after her sr decision date.

I did work out on the basis of the analysis that 5 more correct maths questions would have been enough. I'm not deluded into thinking my daughter is a genius but I did think that we would just make it through. I've always said, to anyone who would listen to me, that I was not prepared to tutor her in at all costs if it we not right for her but it does feel like she has just missed out and really is of the right calibre.
elevenpluscrazy

Post by elevenpluscrazy »

We were a 1:1 recommendation with glowing head report & extenuating circumstances, only one other passed from school, end of yr5 SATs were 4a, 4a & 4b(writing), current SATs performance 5c, 4a & 4a(writing) and predicted (5a,5b & 5c(writing), yet appeal unsuccessful due to end of yr5 writing SATs not strong enough together with verbal score.
It's a small school but in all previous years at least four children have passed. We were the only appeal. Did they look at the school & it's pass rates? The school pass rate being less than 10% comparable with previous years hitting the 30% pass rate makes no sense? Soo frustrating!
purplerabbit

Post by purplerabbit »

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get through either. Did the clerk's note say less that 3 5s expected. Was there an explanation that it was because of the writing level?
elevenpluscrazy

Comments said end yr5 written (4b) and verbal score from test not high enough!
It reads like they are looking for reasons not to make appeal successful rather than other way round! We knew even the strongest appeal would be difficult to win, we don't feel the panel have looked at any info regarding the school results and I assume this can't be challenged?!
purplerabbit

Post by purplerabbit »

Would you be willing to say what verbal score was obtained. Dd got 55.78 verbal and 4b end of yr 5 so it may be that we were refused in the same basis even though my letter is less clear. :(
elevenpluscrazy

51.87..v low, although interestingly I'd not have said it would be her weakest area so think the test must have been very very tough for verbal! That or a very off day! Did you not get any comment on your letter explaining why unsuccessful?u
elevenpluscrazy

Clerks note ticked that 3 5s were predicted.
purplerabbit

Post by purplerabbit »

My letter says only one level 5 and no writing or explanation of any kind.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now