GCSE revision guides

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesatea

GCSE revision guides

Post by Minesatea »

Can anyone recommend any good revision guides / workbooks, either in paper form or online, for OCR gcse Latin (literature papers) and CIE igcse Biology?
Tinkers

Re: GCSE revision guides

Post by Tinkers »

Not looked myself, (DD is 11) but I'm told the CGP ones are good. We like the ks3 ones.

They also have on line stuff.

No idea whether they have the right exam board though.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Sadly they do not do any Latin books and the Biology is the wrong board. Does anyone know if edexcel igcse is similar to CIE?
copella

Post by copella »

Have you spoken to the school. My DS's school has given advice on websites and revision books as well as handing out to the pupils appropriate ones for their exam boards.
Amber

Post by Amber »

copella wrote:Have you spoken to the school. My DS's school has given advice on websites and revision books as well as handing out to the pupils appropriate ones for their exam boards.
I second that. DD does not rate revision guides at all and recommends becoming very familiar with the specification - her GCSE Physics teacher said this was the key to exam success but not many children seem to do it. She did OCR Latin GCSE a couple of years ago - there was nothing available then, I don't think. I think revision guides tend to be great moneyspinners for publishers but can catch children out or lull them into a false sense of security if they are not very careful indeed.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Totally agree -

Students need to read the specification then send time practising past papers. Then they need to use the examiners reports and the mark schemes so they understand EXACTLY what is needed to get the marks.

No need to buy anything ...
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

DS1 is doing CIE Biology, Chemistry & Physics.
I bought him some books of practice questions which he has found quite helpful. The answers aren't included in the book but are available as PDF online. I'll try to find a link for you.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

http://www.hodderplus.co.uk/igcsebiology/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Thank you that is exactly what I was looking for. DS seems to learn best that way.

Now if I can find a guide to Pliny we will be sorted.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Sorry, can't help with OCR Latin. DS1 is doing WJEC Latin, for which he gets all the resources he needs from the CSCP website.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now