Changing the preference after national offers

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ssym

Changing the preference after national offers

Post by ssym »

I have a tricky situation as I am not sure how do I change the preference of schools after national offers day after securing admission in higher preference school

Based on results of DS he will be definitely getting a place in CRGS (Colchester Royal Grammar School) which is my first preference.
Now, due to change in my work location, I want to change the preference to QE Barnet, which is the second preferred school on my form CAF form. Based on last years cutoffs my DS should be able to get place in QE Barnet as well if he can be on waiting list.

I spoke with QE Barnet and also checked their policy online. As per QE Barnet as I will be offered a place in higher preference school, I will not be on their waiting list and I need to talk to my local authority.When I talked to my local authority they mentioned that both schools are outside their area so they can not comment on the Policy of these schools.

So now, I have two questions.

1. Is it possible to be on waiting list for QE Barnet after getting admission to CRGS which is my higher preference school.
In this forum, I did remember someone mentioning QE Barnet sending a letter to ask if the child wants to be on their waiting list. Not sure if that applies in case of already secured admission in Higher preference school.

2. Do I secure admission in CRGS first and then request to be on waiting list for QE Barnet (First Question)
Do not want to loose admission into both due to change of my work location.

Would really appreciate if experts can give their advise
Last edited by ssym on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest201

Re: Changing the preference after national offers

Post by guest201 »

I am no expert but I would say you have to accept the place you are offered and then ask to be put on the waiting list for the other school, I think I read somewhere that you can be on the waiting list for as many schools as you want.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Agree with guest 201.

Accept the place and request QE to put your DC on their waiting list. If he has scored higher than the cut-off score, there would be very high chance of him getting the place at QE.
ssym

Post by ssym »

Many thanks Guest201 and TiffinBoys for your reply.

Will secure a place at CRGS and then request to be on waiting list for QE Barnet
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now