Help from schools with 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Storygirl

Help from schools with 11+

Post by Storygirl »

I wondered what sort of help is being offered at state schools with 11+.

I know some operate after school clubs, or lessons, some offer mock exams and some none at all. Our school always has offered some extra help in past, but has now stopped. Rumour has it that independents spend all day studying for 11+, which I'm sure isn't the case, so please feel free to comment if your dc attends an independent school.
push-pull-mum

Re: Help from schools with 11+

Post by push-pull-mum »

Storygirl wrote:I wondered what sort of help is being offered at state schools with 11+.
Ms Sweet F.Adams, my dear.

2009 (elder DC in early stages of Year 5) Headteacher at DD's primary school asked for a quiet word.

"Are you thinking of 11+ for DD? If so you should know we don't teach to the standard of the test here so you'll need to think about teaching her yourself."
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

State schools in our area are categorically told that they are NOT allowed to offer any help at all - to the point that they will not even acknowledge that your child is doing the 11+, let alone if they pass it. And, conversely, the indies spend significant time teaching to it as well as encouraging parents to pay for extra tutor hep as well.
KB

Post by KB »

I understood that state schools are not allowed to offer any help but know of some that certainly until quite recently did allow an independent tutor to use a classroom for private group lessons.

Oxford House focus very much on the 11+
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

KB wrote:Oxford House focus very much on the 11+
Apparently 14 out of the 16 children in last year's Year 6 are now at one of the two Colchester Grammar Schools.

They are very proud of that statistic. I find it vaguely disturbing.
bravado

Post by bravado »

kenyancowgirl wrote:State schools in our area are categorically told that they are NOT allowed to offer any help at all -
I hope kenyancowgirl won't mind me clarifying that they are in another region and not Essex. :D
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Storygirl - my DS1 is at an Independent School and they offered no help whatsoever in 11+ preparation, it is not mentioned, thought of, discussed and there are no after school 11+ clubs at all.
The Eskimo

Post by The Eskimo »

push-pull-mum wrote:
KB wrote:Oxford House focus very much on the 11+
Apparently 14 out of the 16 children in last year's Year 6 are now at one of the two Colchester Grammar Schools.

They are very proud of that statistic. I find it vaguely disturbing.
What disturbs you about it?
The Eskimo

Post by The Eskimo »

KB wrote:I understood that state schools are not allowed to offer any help but know of some that certainly until quite recently did allow an independent tutor to use a classroom for private group lessons.

Oxford House focus very much on the 11+
I can think of at least one state school that definitely do offer 11+ tuition to a select group of their pupils.
Happygolucky

Post by Happygolucky »

My DS is at an Indie, this school offers no help for 11+, they concentrate on working towards common entrance at 13+. Some children did take the exam this year but are very much in the minority. All schools whether State or Indie differ in their approach.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now