Boys Grammar Schools that support Sport

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tommy

Boys Grammar Schools that support Sport

Post by tommy »

I am thinking of grammar school for my son and not sure if any of the grammars support sport. My son plays football and is in an academy which can be intense sometimes. Does anyone have a son that is in a football academy and in any grammar school. Any insight would be greatly appreciated
ToadMum

Re: Boys Grammar Schools that support Sport

Post by ToadMum »

Although DS1 managed to avoid doing anything other than what was required of him during games lessons whilst he was there, SHSB is very keen on sport, including football. Fixtures usually start in the first week of the year and boys who are hoping for a year 7 team place need to turn up for training before school during the first week unless that has changed recently. Have a look at the Parent Bulletins on their website for results of matches played etc.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tommy

Post by tommy »

Thank you for your reply. I am more concerned about if he has fixtures that interfere with school will they accommodate this if he had to leave school early sometimes due to his football with the Youth Academy?
djy76

Post by djy76 »

Tommy it's an interesting question.. My Dd dances and has time off about three times an academic year for dance related activities and our GS is fine with them.

However my Dd is working really hard in and out of school on her school work and I would worry that more time off and it would impact her learning, the pace does seem relentless and little time to go over subjects it is learn and move on (or more accurately learn/test and move on).

Dd's friends who do a lot of out of school sport have school PE lessons as extra homework time to keep up.

I think you would do well to visit the schools or speak to them for their views they may all be different.

Goid luck
Djy
KB

Post by KB »

I think it is unlikely that any school will support regular absence of this kind.
If he is playing at 'county level' or above then occasional absence for specific major events is more likely to be allowed - whether for sport or other events.
I don't think it will make any difference whether the school is a GS or Comprehensive - perceived disruption to education will be the issue.
The only way to be sure would be to contact the school to check on their policy.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I second those recommending that you check with each school you are interested in, as they may well have different attitudes to this.

We're not in Essex, but I know from personal experience that the GSs in south Bucks would not permit this. Even national standard competitors are not allowed to miss school on a regular basis; now DS is older some of the best sportsmen in his year are playing semi-professionally (football and cricket), but are still not allowed to miss lessons.

What is more, if there is a clash between a school fixture and an Academy fixture, the school will expect him to represent them as a priority. Sorry if that's not the answer you were hoping for.
tommy

Post by tommy »

Thank you all. Your comments have been quite helpful in putting things into perspective.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now