what should I do? Full fee offer, 50%bursary offer or comp?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Roz12

what should I do? Full fee offer, 50%bursary offer or comp?

Post by Roz12 »

Hi all

I need advice.

MY DD has been offered a full fee place at her first choice Indie and an offer at a indie with 50% bursary which she doesn' t want to go to and probably an offer at an outstanding comp.

I don't know what to do?Why is life so cruel wish things could be swapped over!

Roz
tiffinboys

Re: what should I do? Full fee offer, 50%bursary offer or co

Post by tiffinboys »

Really depends on your financial situation...

If you can easily afford it, then choose your choice no. 1 or go to outstanding state school.
Personally, we won't pay even half the fee at place where DC is not keen to go and we have to apply for bursary.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I think life is a lot crueller for those who did not get any offers at all from the schools that they worked so hard for. Spare a thought for them. The indie you got the bursary for, you must have been interested in it at some point or else you would not have applied. Perhaps you and your dd could go and have another look now you know they want her. DG
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

I am with Daogroupie. You must have paid the £50 or £100 fee when you applied for indie no 2. This is the one I should be looking at now. There must be many positive qualities about it. If you ask about the school on another thread there may be people who know the school well and can put your mind at ease. Your DC is not really in a position to make the choice, to be frank; you are the parent. Why does DC not want to go? Is it because of friends, distance, facilities? You need to visit the place with DC again and view it positively. Ask the right questions so that she feels reassured. Don't give the impression that you are unhappy - DC pick up on this very easily.

I am advising this because as yet, you do not have the offer from the outstanding comp. If and when that offer comes in, you can review the situation. But visit the comp as well!
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

Thanks all.

Yes I am very grateful for my offers I just mean't I wish we received the bursary for the number one choice. I will visit both schools again.

Bear in mind we did get rejections from two grammars and two indies which are much higher in the league tables.

Thanks all.
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

Kingfisher wrote:I am with Daogroupie. You must have paid the £50 or £100 fee when you applied for indie no 2. This is the one I should be looking at now. There must be many positive qualities about it. If you ask about the school on another thread there may be people who know the school well and can put your mind at ease. Your DC is not really in a position to make the choice, to be frank; you are the parent. Why does DC not want to go? Is it because of friends, distance, facilities? You need to visit the place with DC again and view it positively. Ask the right questions so that she feels reassured. Don't give the impression that you are unhappy - DC pick up on this very easily.

I am advising this because as yet, you do not have the offer from the outstanding comp. If and when that offer comes in, you can review the situation. But visit the comp as well!
The one with bursary offer is Indie no one talks about as it's not that good-Streatham and Clapham high and the other is Old Palace which is much better and parents have spoken about it on the forum.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Good luck with it. Forget the rejections now. I am sorry that you did not get the bursary for Indie no 1, but these schools are over-subscribed and there is only so much money to go round.

Let us know what you decide.
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

Will let you know-so stressful!
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Hello Roz12. I have just had a look at the websites for the two schools and I am actually quite impressed and academically, there does not seem to be much in it - SCHS has the edge, but it is only by a couple of percentage points. The website is very positive and seems to offer so much for the girls.

I should view this as very promising indeed. Visit it, once half-term is over and I am sure that will put your mind at rest.

And contrary to what you feel, the school is known and respected.
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

yes I've visited both schools and both are lovely just isn't is strange no one talk about SHCH on this website but many have mentioned Old Palace???!

I am going for open mornings to both schools again before accepting.

Appreciate your advice very much.

I really though old Palace was higher in the league tables? Please forward me the link.

Thanks