What happens to rejected bursary offers?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Roz12

What happens to rejected bursary offers?

Post by Roz12 »

Hello all

I'm hearing many parents will reject their DC's offers. as bursary amounts are not enough and cannot afford to send their children to certain school. I also hear some lucky parents have received more than one bursary offer. What happens to the bursary rejections? Do bursarys get reallocated to DC who didn't get the offers first time? Is there a waitlist system? Any parents out there who received a bursary offer after they accepted a full fee place?

Please let me know

Thanks

Roz
tigger2

Re: What happens to rejected bursary offers?

Post by tigger2 »

Hi Roz

I think that it really depends on the school but I have been told that generally rejected bursaries are put back in the pot and reallocated. My ds was offered a place with a bursary at his second choice school but we had to turn it down because it wasn't enough. We sent back a letter very quickly declining the place and explaining why and the Head of admissions called me and he was later offered a larger bursary due to other funded places being given up. We have been very lucky that our ds was also offered a bursary at his first choice but I do feel for you as I know of others who were not as lucky and waiting is horrible. My advice would be to contact the bursar to see what the situation is at this particular school and ask if there is a waiting list . There wasn't a waiting list at ds second choice but they still kept him in mind and offered a new place and bursary when they could so do contact them. Good luck!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Some schools do have waiting lists for bursaries, others put the money back in the pot and can then offer more next year.

I suspect that some know that not all of the offers may be accepted in any one year and count on this. If of course they are all acepted then fewer are handed out the next year.
Presumably as long as it evens out over the whole 7 years the school can adjust the number
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

We had a quick read on bursaries, and came to the conclusion that if you have a stay at home parent, brick and mortar assets, and wealthy relatives, (regardless of whether they share the wealth) then it was a non starter....So we didn't start!

This was the most informed artcle, it may give you some ideas why your bursary was declined?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/96 ... -fees.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eal238

Post by eal238 »

When I made my bursary application, there was no mention of my families wealth (not that they're wealthy!!). I think that's wrong anyway, it's my responsibility to do what I can for my child, not my mother or fathers! My dad has recently retired, but his money is what he has to live on for the rest of his natural life, not to be used to stump up for my child, I would never even dream of approaching him anyway because in past experience, I get a good b*llocking preceding the inevitable no.. My sons paternal grandfather is very wealthy but has seen my son a handful of times on visits back to the UK but doesn't acknowledge his birthdays (nor his own children) etc, no chance of him
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I don't think any bursary applications in the UK would look any further than the parents and their assets / wealth and I suspect they don't have the resources to investigate too closely. The cases of using google earth and checking up on the other assets is probably only used when the lifestyle the school see doesn't match the professed income.. new Aston Martins aren't cheap these days.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

it's my responsibility to do what I can for my child, not my mother or fathers!
I totally agree, but I also know three people who's parents are paying for their grandkids indie education. One of whom, pleaded the case blatantly to his parents, prized the money, then goes skiing, foreign holidays and had a frivolous extension built to their house. I guess some grandparents think they are just giving inheritance to a skipped generation!
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

Ladymuck wrote:It is worth looking up the published account for your relevant school on the Charity commission website. You have to dig a bit but they're all on there in pdf form.

As bursaries are one of the things the Charity Commission looks at carefully, the schools tend to list a fair bit of information about them, and you should have a fair indication as to what happens.

In my experience, since the CC first started examining bursary pots carefully, bursaries have been reallocated where possible rather than rolled into subsequent years. That said, I doubt that they will be given to those who accept a full fees place, as you're essentially signing to say that you can afford it, but instead it will go to those who contact the school, make their plea, and wait.

Hello Ladymuck,

I'm a bit confused as I've made a plea for a bursary but the deadline for acceptances is soon. How can they re allocate until after the deadline as don't the schools need to see who has accepted and who has decline the bursary offers.

If I accept a full fee place I realise this will show I can afford a place but if I don't I lose my daughter's place! The bursars said they won't know till after the deadline? What should I do?

Please advise.

Roz
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now