Daily Commuting (OR) moving close to Tiffin! which is best??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mamma dadda

Daily Commuting (OR) moving close to Tiffin! which is best??

Post by mamma dadda »

Trying to find out from parents of existing Tiffins boys on how they are coping with train commuting? is it advisable to travel 45 + 45 mins daily or move close to Tiffin where the house prices are horrible !!!
sgsgirl

Re: Daily Commuting (OR) moving close to Tiffin! which is be

Post by sgsgirl »

Which area would your DS be commuting from?
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

mamma dadda wrote:Trying to find out from parents of existing Tiffins boys on how they are coping with train commuting? is it advisable to travel 45 + 45 mins daily or move close to Tiffin where the house prices are horrible !!!
Is this a real question? Obviously if you can you would minimise your child's journey... but economically you might have no choice.
Where are you located? Is it 45 min train or 45 min door to door?
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Plenty of boys (and teachers) do travel by train to Tiffin. You will have seen me commenting on the ridiculousness and unfairness of long journeys to school before (!), but if you are talking about 45 mins door to door I'd be happy with that for mine.

My two have a slightly shorter journey but just a few minutes longer would be perfectly acceptable to them and me. My DS leaves the house at 7.30 for a train at approx 7.40, eight-minute train journey then a few minutes walk from Kingston station to school. He likes to be in early for that social thing discussed on another thread...

My DD catches the same train then hops on the 65 down the Richmond Road to get to TGS, again super early for chit chat time... She walks back to the station after school, with friends, as the 65 buses are so crowded.
J50

Post by J50 »

45 mins could imply a relatively short distance and well within the proposed catchment area! I would define Tiffin as pretty local to us yet the bus in the morning to Kingston with its constant stopping and the traffic levels would mean a commute of around an hour door to door... on a good day! I suspect the OP is underestimating their journey time at rush hour.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

I believe the OP is about to get a Tiffin offer (DS score posted as 242) and to embark on a monster commute from Slough or thereabouts. Maybe some others are more familiar with such a journey might comment.
Good luck whatever the outcome... move closer if you can. Anything with a direct train link into Kingston is probably do-able especially if the walk to the station isn't too long.
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
mamma dadda

Post by mamma dadda »

sgsgirl wrote:Which area would your DS be commuting from?
My DS has to travel from Staines. Staines to Twickenham & then change there onto a train to Kingston.
mamma dadda

Post by mamma dadda »

SunlampVexesEel wrote:
mamma dadda wrote:Trying to find out from parents of existing Tiffins boys on how they are coping with train commuting? is it advisable to travel 45 + 45 mins daily or move close to Tiffin where the house prices are horrible !!!
Is this a real question? Obviously if you can you would minimise your child's journey... but economically you might have no choice.
Where are you located? Is it 45 min train or 45 min door to door?
Regards
SVE
I might not have put my question properly, but yes, that's a real question after looking at the house prices there in or around Kingston :-)
Located in Staines. yes, 50 mins is door to door journey. I would like to understand from the current parents of tiffins if journey is showing bad impact on child's progress, like how their energy levels are after returning home. Would they be able to do their home works? is it safe to send child on train? However, we are prepared to accompany him for atleast one year as we work in London and can go with him...
mamma dadda

Post by mamma dadda »

Peridot wrote:Plenty of boys (and teachers) do travel by train to Tiffin. You will have seen me commenting on the ridiculousness and unfairness of long journeys to school before (!), but if you are talking about 45 mins door to door I'd be happy with that for mine.

My two have a slightly shorter journey but just a few minutes longer would be perfectly acceptable to them and me. My DS leaves the house at 7.30 for a train at approx 7.40, eight-minute train journey then a few minutes walk from Kingston station to school. He likes to be in early for that social thing discussed on another thread...

My DD catches the same train then hops on the 65 down the Richmond Road to get to TGS, again super early for chit chat time... She walks back to the station after school, with friends, as the 65 buses are so crowded.
Thank you. Yes, that was another thing I came across in my research that not many children live close to Tiffin school and therefore the children have very less options for socializing unlike other schools that are outside London where houses are in affordable prices. I can understand & appreciate your children trying to be there early for social reasons.
mamma dadda

Post by mamma dadda »

J50 wrote:45 mins could imply a relatively short distance and well within the proposed catchment area! I would define Tiffin as pretty local to us yet the bus in the morning to Kingston with its constant stopping and the traffic levels would mean a commute of around an hour door to door... on a good day! I suspect the OP is underestimating their journey time at rush hour.

Thanks for the reply. This helps. I understand the traffic is taking such a long time. We have a train option from staines but with a change at Twickenham (just need to about turn for opp platform though). So that 45-50 mins is door-to-door as the school is 5 mins walk from the station I believe.