3rd March national allocation day...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dadproud

3rd March national allocation day...

Post by dadproud »

Hi all
a week to go...to get our school name...i live in Aylesbury,but my order of choice is DCGS,RGS and AGS..i knew i have 100% chance for AGS, 0.1% for my first two...but....still wishing to get DCGS as my job may move to central london...fingers crossedddddd....
Guest55

Re: 3rd March national allocation day...

Post by Guest55 »

I think you are being over optimistic in even listing DCGS tbh.

Even if you move you would struggle to appeal successfully I'm afraid; sorry to be blunt but the school guards its PAN!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Lots of my son's friends are flourishing at AGS ,it is a great school AND your local school, you should feel happy that your son will achieve a place there, who wants to travel 15 miles on a slow bus or 20miles to challoners with changes too, when there is a fab grammar within walking distance. Well done to your ds for his achievement and I hope he enjoys AGS...they are particularly good at basketball this year I heard, as well as participating in the normal rugby, footy etc. When and if you move job to London..You can do the commute from aylesbury railway station :wink:
dadproud

Post by dadproud »

dear guest55 and southbucks
thanks for your support. i agree with you...travel and other issues...AGS is great...but league tables are confusing when DCGS stands 25th place nationaly AGS is 78???
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Well your DS is not going to get into DCGS so to that extent it's no use worrying about the league tables!
AGS is an excellent school, all the Bucks GSs do well by those children who want to work.
they are particularly good at basketball this year I heard
Tennis too, SB3, half the boys Bucks county team go there. I think they finished 11th in the country last year and hope to do better this year :D
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

78/ 3100 state secondary schools! I give zero credence to league tables anyway, your child, his peer groups, his particular teacher during a particular term, are all more likely to effect his end results than whether the school is 50 places higher up the league table. Top 100 schools have very little between them in the most important, and seldom published figures, which is how much each individual child has achieved educationally higher than when they started. Also please remember that dcgs, although unquestionably also a great school, is situated in a very affluent area, where the slightest sniff towards a c grade sends some (certainly not all) parents running to private tutors with their teens....says she who is looking at French tutors for ds1, even though we are cash strapped! :oops:
Also just think, the extra two hours commuting could be spent doing fun exercise and energizing his brain or doing extra booster work if need be, as well as relaxing at hone!
Good luck, and set that basketball hoop and tennis net up in the garden to get him ready over the summer...great fun!
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

I hope everyone gets their preference and those of you who still have appeals to go through are very much in my thoughts.

I'm so anxious about allocations day (perhaps more so then results day) - my ds desperately wants SWBGS, we are catchment but in a village - I'm crossing everything possible and just willing it to happen - he will be truly devastated if he doesn't get it and it's such a good fit for him (dance / performing arts) rather then JHGS (our other catchment option) - am already mentally preparing for an over subscription appeal. Am v worried about how people moving house into county / catchment after results will have affected things for him.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

You should be fine, ds1 had a child who was on his summer familiarisation day at rgs two years ago, but was then offered swbgs two days before the start of term...rgs uniform bought, mad dash around to get swbgs uniform! He lived in Hughenden, so further away than you, he was on a waiting list.

I do like the idea of mixed gender for swbgs, although arty farty would make my three recoil...think it must be a bit less testosterone driven, and may be a bit calmer?..My ds1 was adamant that he wanted a school with no girls when he was 11....now he is 13, I am not so sure, judging by his Facebook friends!

Good luck kittymum boy,if the worst happened we have close friends with boys at John hampering too and they very pleased with the school and the excellent care, which it as a reputation for...being a bit more cuddly than rgs!
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

kittymum, I thought you loved John Hampden when you visited…?

JHGS is a very good school, and all the boys (and parents) I know there like it very much. Your DS can always get his dance/performing arts outside school if he has to.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Thanks SB3.

Rob, well remembered - I did love JHGS, found the head inspiring and loved the feel of the school. DS however didn't share my opinion - the dance is quite a big thing for him and he really doesn't want single sex. With the busses it'd make his school day an hour longer which I'm not keen on plus he'd probably have to stop his current dance class due to bus times so all things considered it's not ideal. However we have very good friends who have sons flourishing there so I know what a wonderful school it is, just not the best fit for ds :D