CEM for CCHS 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
TP123

CEM for CCHS 2014

Post by TP123 »

Hi Everyone,

Probably a bad time to post about the Sept 2014 exams given that we are close to March 1, but I couldn't help myself (sorry). I have spent hours on the Essex forum trying to find some information about the CEM CCHS 2014 exam and though there is a lot of helpful information, I don't see much in terms of "here is what was in the 2013 exam" - like the following in the Birmingham forum: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=14423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do we actually have this information and perhaps I am just not good at finding it? Or is there another reason why this data is missing?

I hope I am not coming across as demanding. That's not the intention at all. I consider myself quite technically savvy :lol: - so if I can't find this information, then it might be that others are struggling to. And if this information is just not available for Essex then I will stop getting OCD about it and focus on something else. :oops:

Many thanks to anyone who can help.
Araucana girl

Re: CEM for CCHS 2014

Post by Araucana girl »

TP123 wrote:Hi Everyone,

Probably a bad time to post about the Sept 2014 exams given that we are close to March 1, but I couldn't help myself (sorry). I have spent hours on the Essex forum trying to find some information about the CEM CCHS 2014 exam and though there is a lot of helpful information, I don't see much in terms of "here is what was in the 2013 exam" - like the following in the Birmingham forum: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=14423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do we actually have this information and perhaps I am just not good at finding it? Or is there another reason why this data is missing?

I hope I am not coming across as demanding. That's not the intention at all. I consider myself quite technically savvy :lol: - so if I can't find this information, then it might be that others are struggling to. And if this information is just not available for Essex then I will stop getting OCD about it and focus on something else. :oops:

Many thanks to anyone who can help.
There wasn't really much posting after the event last year, sorry, so you won't find it on the Essex section of the forum. Dd didn't really give much away last year so can't be much help. There were two cloze pieces and I think they were of the fill in the letters type with no word bank. There were no shuffled sentences either.
Take any info with caution though as CEM change things about a lot from one year to the next to try to make it untutorable :wink:
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

Oh and just remembered there was a comprehension that was something to do with model making, don't know if fiction or non fiction. The maths I think had a question in recipe style I think i.e. Quantities of ingredients and how much to make so many cakes etc.

Albert Einstein
TP123

Post by TP123 »

Thank you so much Araucana girl. Every nugget of information is so valuable!!
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

TP123 wrote:Thank you so much Araucana girl. Every nugget of information is so valuable!!
No problem, from what I gather it was the time pressure and not the complexity of the papers that is the killer. Make sure you practise lots of timed papers, put some together. You are looking at 6 minutes for 20 questions for example on NVR etc.

Albert Einstein
TP123

Post by TP123 »

Araucana girl wrote:
TP123 wrote:Thank you so much Araucana girl. Every nugget of information is so valuable!!
No problem, from what I gather it was the time pressure and not the complexity of the papers that is the killer. Make sure you practise lots of timed papers, put some together. You are looking at 6 minutes for 20 questions for example on NVR etc.
:shock: That is harsh!!! All the very best for your DD on MArch 3rd!! :D
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

TP123 wrote:
Araucana girl wrote:
:shock: That is harsh!!! All the very best for your DD on MArch 3rd!! :D
It is to put them off, you aren't expected to finish every section :D
Thank you the count down is very much on now :?

Albert Einstein
TP123

Post by TP123 »

Its been many years since we went through this with my DS - but every year you get that same feeling back and I end up spending most of the day on this forum - silently sharing the emotions and sending positive cyber vibes.
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

TP123 wrote:Its been many years since we went through this with my DS - but every year you get that same feeling back and I end up spending most of the day on this forum - silently sharing the emotions and sending positive cyber vibes.
Feeling pretty obsessed myself at the moment , don't know why at all :lol:
Feel free to join :D funnily enough in my obsession with reading old posts yesterday, came across your posts from when your dc was allocated :D I will be so glad when this week is over.

Albert Einstein
talea51

Post by talea51 »

I'm afraid my dd was pretty shell shocked when she came out of the CEM exam and she didn't really have anything concrete to give me in terms of what was asked. She said that it was very difficult and that she didn't finish 5 sections (which had me silently weeping)

I second what Araucana girl said about the time pressure. I think it works out to around 25 secs per question. I had not adequately prepared my dd for this and it really threw her.

From what I can gather, vocabulary is key to this exam.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now