Purplerabbit appeal thread (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
purplerabbit

Purplerabbit appeal thread (Bucks)

Post by purplerabbit »

I'm feeling like we are in yet another countdown period - countdown to 11+, countdown to 11+ results, countdown to Selection Review results and now countdown to national allocations day and forthcoming appeal.

I'm trying to remain active and prepare as much for the appeal case in advance as possible. I believe that the process will be the same this year as last, that is to say one appeal hearing to determine if the SR was FCO and if DC is of the right academic standard and, assuming this is successful, a second appeal hearing dealing with oversubscription. Does anyone have definite confirmation that this is the case?

Our first choice school was WHS, does anyone know if this school is usually oversubscribed. I have heard that they have 4 empty places in current year 7 but do not know if this is true and do not know if this is a common occurrence or exceptional. Can anyone offer experience of this.

Our second choice school is SWBGS, I believe that this school has higher pressure on spaces but if anyone knows the likely position I'd love to hear.

We are in catchment for both schools.
Etienne

Re: Purplerabbit appeal thread

Post by Etienne »

purplerabbit wrote:I believe that the process will be the same this year as last, that is to say one appeal hearing to determine if the SR was FCO and if DC is of the right academic standard and, assuming this is successful, a second appeal hearing dealing with oversubscription. Does anyone have definite confirmation that this is the case?
You are correct regarding last year, but - as far as we know - nothing has been confirmed regarding the arrangements for this year.

If you look at last year's Bucks thread:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=31030" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- we would suggest for the time being that you follow the advice in (d)11.
If you do that, you'll be ready - irrespective of whether the hearing is in one, two or three parts!
(If it should follow last year's pattern, you'll be free to re-submit a fresh case for the oversubscription part if you wish.)
Etienne
purplerabbit

Re: Purplerabbit appeal thread (Bucks)

Post by purplerabbit »

Thank you Etienne, yes I've read the suggested thread. It's a really great to have such helpful advice as a starting point.

Do you know where I can find out about how full the schools are this year/ are likely to be for 2014 entry? I assume by contacting the schools direct but I feel a little shy about asking for this information upfront.

Thank you again.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The schools themselves won't know a great deal at this stage.

This page will show you the relative popularity of schools over several years (please note the change to distance measurement last year) http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once we see the allocation distance on 3rd March, that will give us an indication of whether certain schools are more or less popular this year.

It isn't an exact science, but we have become fairly good at crystal ball gazing over the years!
purplerabbit

Post by purplerabbit »

Thanks Sally-Anne, we're 2.2 miles straight line distance to WHS and even closer to SWBGS so on those figures we should at least have a chance.

Will wait for new stats after 3 March.

Thank you.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

purplerabbit wrote:Thanks Sally-Anne, we're 2.2 miles straight line distance to WHS and even closer to SWBGS so on those figures we should at least have a chance.
That puts you in an interesting position, based on our experience last year.

If (and that remains a big IF, of course), you manage to overturn FCO and then win the non-qualification appeal, you are very likely indeed to rise to first place on the waiting list for both schools. As there is usually some movement in the distances for further allocation rounds, that should bode well.

If it doesn't, you would of course need to go to an over-subscription appeal. Last year it seemed that many O/S panels took the view that where an IAP had overturned a Review decision, the child should be returned to the position that they would otherwise have been in on Allocations Day (1st/3rd March).

As a result, several schools were forced into admitting a number of children over their admission number (PAN).

I would certainly be hopeful that panels would take the same view this year.
purplerabbit

Post by purplerabbit »

Thank you - the first glimmer of hope so far. I know there is a big IF in there but at least a ray of hope too...
Dragonamp

Post by Dragonamp »

Hi, we are in a somewhat similar position, but withdrew our request for a review opting to go straight to appeal.

A mail from the admissions team suggests that this year you must make a non qualifying appeal to schools individually.

I have pasted some of the email received.

The first stage will be a ‘Non-Qualifying Appeal’: this is an appeal that determines whether or not your child is of a grammar school ability: one of the main differences between this and the Selection Review is that all ‘appeals’ are for a particular school as opposed to for all grammar schools: you submit a different appeal for each school you would like to appeal for.

A successful Non-Qual. Appeal will determine that your child is of sufficient ability to attend the school in question. It is not a guarantee of a place at this stage, as by this point all available places may have been allocated. It does, however, allow a child to access the waiting list, and also to access the full Admission Appeals process.

If you would like at this point to go to an Admission Appeal, a successful outcome does gain your child entry to the school in question. An unsuccessful appeal obviously does not, however your child can remain on the waiting list.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dragonamp wrote:A mail from the admissions team suggests that this year you must make a non qualifying appeal to schools individually .......
Hi Dragonamp

This is no different from last year.
Up until 2012 it was possible to have a 'selection appeal' in January/February - and, if successful, the child was then qualified for any Bucks grammar school.

From 2013 onwards all appeals are for individual schools (but BCC is contracted to make the arrangements for most of them).
Etienne
Dragonamp

Post by Dragonamp »

Thanks Etienne