Is it true that...

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
maths numpty

Is it true that...

Post by maths numpty »

Is it true that the 11+ maths papers routinely test material not yet taught to state school pupils at the time of testing? I am particularly of the Slough and Slough consortium tests.

If so how is this justified?
Gordiamus

Post by Gordiamus »

All the 11+ maths tests I know of test material not yet taught to most state school pupils at the time of testing, although some schools may try to teach further than the curriculum.

It is a fair way of testing? no absolutely not. Some pupils have been taught to the appropriate level by their school, other have to catch up with extra preparation. Some have parents or tutors that can help them, some haven't.

Is it more unfair than VR, NVR etc.. not necessarily...
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

hi,

Yes it is true. When I found this out last year I was not very happy to say the least. All you can do is to try to get some past papers (if you haven't already) and go through them with your child to see where the gaps are. Then teach him/her yourself! What a joke of a system!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I also think, as a Secondary Maths teacher, that this is not good for pupils either as they will not be encouraged to use appropriate techniques.

I am NOT blaming parents - who are only trying to do their best - but there should be no need to test beyond the KS2 curriculum.