Need some advise - it's driving me mad

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lzwpm6

Need some advise - it's driving me mad

Post by lzwpm6 »

Eldest DS goes to MTS and is thriving. Naturally we wanted our second DS to follow the same path. After interview we received the saddening news that due to the high number of applicants and very high standards this year, they could not offer him a place. This was the only indie we applied to. Is it too late to apply to other indies now..? We want to do the same for both DS's but I'm not sure what to do next.. I can't send one DS to indie and not do the same for other DS.... Local indies are York House, Habs, St Albans Boys....
Daogroupie

Re: Need some advise - it's driving me mad

Post by Daogroupie »

Why did you only apply to one indie? It is all such a game of chance with how they perform on the day. I can see from your posts that your elder ds started at Queens which was your third choice after also applying for Watford boys and Parmiters so you already knew all about waiting lists and not getting your first choice. You could try at Aldenham and some of the other schools which are not so in demand. But Habs and St Albans will have a long waiting list of boys who sat the exam and did the interview so they will not give a place to a boy who did neither. Your best bet would be to try for a place at one of the prep schools like Lochinver in Potters Bar or Alldwickbury in Wheathampsted and then try again at 13 plus. They will have boys leaving for Habs, St Albans boys and MTS so will have places to fill. Are you on the waiting list at MTS? Did your ds feel that the interview had gone badly or was this just a complete shock? I know several boys who got offers at MTS but are waiting to hear from QE on Monday. So Tuesday there will probably be spaces released by boys getting QE or choosing Habs or St Albans. I would go back and lobby MTS for a chance to be on the waiting list. Send them a considered email about his work ethic and desire to progress. Knuckle back down to work so you can sit prep tests in March. Any idea what subjects he is weakest in? Does your school do sats? Do you have sats levels for him? I have helped with several emails to schools so you can pm me a draft if you like. DG
HappyCow

Post by HappyCow »

lzwpm6 - Not sure if your DS is placed on a waiting list....I hope so. Is he currently at a Prep school? If yes, I am sure they can talk to MT on your behalf.
If it can help in anyway, we shall not be accepting a place at MT.
Good Luck.

I am sorry that this has happened to you, but it does help instil some more faith in the Independents and their selection procedure.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

lzwpm6 is your son at a prep school? did your DS sit 11+ or 13+

If you DS sat 11+ would you consider going to a prep school for 2 years and sitting the 13+ and then trying more schools at that point?

Sleepyhead
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Edge Grove in Radlet/Aldenham is another option. They take boys at 11 for Y7 and Y8 and then focus on local indies like Habs, St Albans and MT. DG
stardoll

Post by stardoll »

My Sisters child (my nephew) goes to York House very few boys received offers from their first choice school and there are several boys without a school.The new head has changed things and not for the better.

Edge Grove is not much better.

TBH everybody tutors to pass the test but a good feeder school will give you the best chance of a place at your desired school.

Try St Johns in Northwood it is the feeder for MTs at 13.
lzwpm6

Post by lzwpm6 »

SleepyHead wrote:lzwpm6 is your son at a prep school? did your DS sit 11+ or 13+

If you DS sat 11+ would you consider going to a prep school for 2 years and sitting the 13+ and then trying more schools at that point?

Sleepyhead
I am seriously considering this option now as he has not been to a prep school when he sat the 11+. This thread has some schools listed so I shall be contacting them... thanks
lzwpm6

Post by lzwpm6 »

stardoll wrote:My Sisters child (my nephew) goes to York House very few boys received offers from their first choice school and there are several boys without a school.The new head has changed things and not for the better.

Edge Grove is not much better.

TBH everybody tutors to pass the test but a good feeder school will give you the best chance of a place at your desired school.

Try St Johns in Northwood it is the feeder for MTs at 13.
It's mad isn't it.... I will look at St Johns - thanks
dearcoty

Post by dearcoty »

If you are considering the prep school and 13+ route, do check when the 13+ exams are - most around London are also in Y6 or beginning of Y7 so the registration will be imminently closing. Another thing to bear in mind is that some schools do not allow a second go at entry with the 13+ if an 11+ entry has already been made - eg Hampton School in SW London. That's if you were thinking of having another go for the same school. Good luck.
DC
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now