Cloze Material

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
A&A

Cloze Material

Post by A&A »

Hi

Where can I get the best resources to practice all the different types of cloze work ?

Thanks

PS This is my first ever post :D
patricia

Re: Cloze Material

Post by patricia »

Hi A&A

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Personally I make up my own Cloze. Use novels and newspapers.

1) Remove 10 words and offer 4 or 5 possibilites for each word removed.

2) Remove 10 words offer a bank of 10 words to choose from.

Good Luck

Patricia
A&A

Post by A&A »

Ok - I was just trying to be lazy !
I say lazy, but working full time and 11 plus do not go very well together !
Many thanks !
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Cloze worksheets are a pain to make, luckily I have some I made from ds1 who sat the exam last Sept. But I'll need to make more for ds2 sitting the exam this Sept.

Anyone want to do cloze swap parties?!
A&A

Post by A&A »

Would love to swap - but dont have any yet to swap with !!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

There are lots of free cloze building programnes on line, they literally take minutes, just a bit of cut and pasting.

This is one I used this week:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/alzsh3/acvo ... pmaker.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can see how quick and easy it is for yourself by copying the instruction and pasting them into the box below then pressing submit...bingo..a cloze!

Other programmes I have used allow you to select the words you want in the word list.

Enjoy!
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Thank you so much Southbucks this is really useful. Do you give your ds a choice of words to choose from?
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

The problem with making your own cloze is knowing what level to pitch it at.

I have just purchased book 1 of the cloze tests from this site to give me an idea of what is expected, it has arrived today so my ds hasn't seen it yet but I've had a quick look and it's more advanced than I expected. There are some words that I will be getting the dictionary out for!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

MamaBear wrote:Thank you so much Southbucks this is really useful. Do you give your ds a choice of words to choose from?

Yes always, as from researching on here the cem has always given a list in the past.
Also at this stage it means you can still be building their vocab, rather than just testing it, if they do not know the meanings you can put them in their word books...to be ignored :lol:
I cut and paste from the daily mail website mostly...it seems the most appropriate for 9 year olds with a limited vocab and black and white opinions on life :lol:

Kiwi mum I don't know how to copy threads, but the last few posts on slow and steady were about cloze book 1, and how I tackled the harder sheets with ds3. You are not alone!

Post subject: Re: The 2014 thread - slow and steady wins the race ....PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:22 pm
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

quote "Do you give your ds a choice of words to choose from?"

sorry Southbucks what I meant was do you give your ds a choice of words to put in the cloze space so as to mimic the Bucks CEM Exam. That is what I find more time consuming thinking of words to put on the answer sheet!

for example:
With a ___________ look he resigned himself to the extra delay.
a hostile
b malicious
c sullen
d upbeat
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now