3 days to go before we find out! Going out of my mind!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

eal238

3 days to go before we find out! Going out of my mind!

Post by eal238 »

With 3 days to wait to find out if a) my son receives an offer of a place and b) if we receive the bursary to be able to take up said offer place, I decided I would email the school yesterday morning to find out what his actual 11+ examination results were - they aren't given out as standard and I figured they would be able to tell me, as the exam & interviews are over, so it wont influence or change anything by me knowing. I also figured it would give me something to focus on besides waiting for Friday to arrive..

Well... they still haven't even acknowledged my request... I know they're busy, having just reconvened after the holidays... Don't really want to call and ask, since I only emailed yesterday a.m.

I am literally going out of my mind, Friday cannot come quick enough so I can get on with my actual life haha!!! Only a glass of wine can quell my nerves, but I don't feel it's a suitable time to be quaffing a large glass of rose - especially when I'm not consuming any food with it! Roll on 7pm when it's bedtimes for my younger two!
Amber

Re: 3 days to go before we find out! Going out of my mind!

Post by Amber »

Ok, breathe...stop trying to contact the school; spend the next 3 days instead turning your nervous energy into spring cleaning your entire house from top to bottom (including loft :wink: ), cooking gourmet meals and baking delicious treats for your lovely children and doing anything you can which will benefit you, your family or the world in general. Friday will come soon enough.

Fingers crossed x
eal238

Post by eal238 »

Haha, you're right, of course - and I have literally only contacted them once since we originally requested a tour/application in December until present day - and that was yesterday to request/express an interest in receiving his actual test results (moreso out of curiosity - if you take a test, you kind of expect to find out the results)... so perhaps they've just taken note and will pop them in the envelopes sent out on the 27th...

If he doesn't get his place here, it will be just as nerve wracking finding out which comprehensive he gets allocated a place at i.e. our first choice! I was like this last year with DS2's reception spot - DS1 & 2 attend separate primary schools.. No pressure with my DD who starts reception this year as she has a guaranteed spot at DS2's primary school...

I have a distinct lack of people who can keep me sane through this - I don't know anyone else, in my bubble, who is going through this process... I'm an over-analyser too, which isn't helping, hence my mission to try and find out extra information so I have some new material to start disect ... :roll: :lol: x
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I don't know a single private school that gives out actual marks so I will be surprised if they do send you his actual results. DG
Immortal Dreams

Post by Immortal Dreams »

DG is right - they are very uptight about the results and as far as I know, refuse point blank to give them to anyone. It would be unfair if you got the results but no one else did. Also, I think they are worried that someone may work out the pass mark (which they attempt to keep as secret as possible, with varying degrees of success) from the results of various children.
eal238

Post by eal238 »

Ah right, ok... thanks ladies (or guys!)! I didn't realise it was so different for private? I have just seen lots of people quoting results, so I just assumed I would, at some point, be given his results or be able to request them?

Am I not entitled to view any data that they hold regarding my child? I wasn't aware they were in a position to refuse...

It's not a massive deal of course...
eal238

Post by eal238 »

Finally the eve of offer day! I'm crossing everything crossable!!! I'll never sleep tonight... :roll: :lol:
Tabassum101

Post by Tabassum101 »

Wishing you the best of luck.

I was in the exact same position last Thursday and Friday and was in absolute puddles by the time the post arrived on Friday, so I know what you are feeling and going through.

Tabs.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Some state schools give out results, some don't. HBS and Latymer don't. DAO gives you chapter and verse. QE gives you the result but not the rank so you don't know your mark in context because you don't know what everyone else got. DG
eal238

Post by eal238 »

Thanks for the info DAOG - they haven't been back in touch, so I presume I won't be given them - so close to offer day, the actual score/marks are the farthest thing from my mind now!

Tabs - thanks for the well wishes! I am going to be a nervous wreck tomorrow! Post arrives around 10:30-11am - ARGH! Is wine acceptable for supper and breakfast? :lol: 100 interviewed for 75 places, and I suspect they'll over-offer.. On that basis, I am fairly confident of an offer, but bursary assistance is entirely another matter, so as DAOG points out, without knowing how he did (and everyone else, which would never happen) then I am not taking anything for granted and I can't/don't feel I could even hazard a guess as to which way that might fall!

I qualified on paper for 100% bursary, but anything over 40-50% is doable, plus taking into account added expenses like lunches/uniform/mandatory trips! Eeeeeeeek!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now