Alleyns, Colfes, Eltham or St Dunstans: Which one?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

denz82

Alleyns, Colfes, Eltham or St Dunstans: Which one?

Post by denz82 »

Hi All, our DS who has a hearing impairment, done extremely well and got the below offers

Alleyns: Full Fee Paying Offer
Colfes: A Scholarship and a bursary offer
Eltham College: Full Fee Paying Offer
St Dunstans College: a bursary offer

Extremely proud of him. We wanted to know which school would parents send their DS to if they had the choice and would appreciate any advice from any parents on the respective schools pastoral and academic support particular for children with disabilities.

Thank you in advance.
lefol

Re: Alleyns, Colfes, Eltham or St Dunstans: Which one?

Post by lefol »

I note you have been awarded a bursary for Colfes and St Dunstans and as such that rules out Eltham and Alleyns as you have been awarded a full fee paying place only . Your ds must have done extremely well and you should be proud of him.

Not much between St Dunstans and Colfes as both are quite local but academically I think St DS does better on league tables and is a much larger school and the building looks nicer than Colfes !

If your choice is restricted to just indies, then I will say go with which one your D's prefers and you will not be wrong with the choice you make . I am not sure how both compare for children with disabilities , but I have not heard any negatives in terms of how they treat children with disabilities . Good luck.
kwest

Post by kwest »

Well done to your DS! If your choice is between Colfe's and St Dunstan's, St Dunstan's does better than Colfe's academically. The schools are quite different and most people have an instinctive preference for one or the other. St Dunstan's has a reputation for very good pastoral care.
denz82

Post by denz82 »

Thanks kwest and lefol,

We went to both St Dunstans and Colfe's parents reception, the Headmistress at St. Dunstans was really interested in knowing about our ds's needs and asked us how he was doing and if we needed any more help to let them know. Whereas, the Headmaster at Colfe's was keen on talking to as many parents as possible and rather than asking us about our DS, asked if we had any questions and than moved on quickly :| , not a great impression!!! However, the teachers at both of the schools where great, Colfe's were introducing there new "tougher minds" teaching strategy, aiming to make children more effective in approaching tasks, whereas at St Dunstans, the teachers wanted to know more about your child. Another impression was the school children that where there, at Colfe's they were less diverse of a mix, whereas, at St Dunstans the children seemed alot more mixed and genuine. I had to do some quick objective comparisons, which i have listed below:

Colfe's School
Number of Senior pupils as of 2010 (aged 11 - 18): 689
Average Class Size: 20 - 22
Percentage of pupils achieving 5+ A*-C or equivalents including A*-C in both English and mathematics GCSEs (2013): 92%
Percentage of Key Stage 4 pupils achieving the English Baccalaureate (2013): 67%
FT Ranking (2011): 417
Inspection report: http://bit.ly/1emAXQa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

St Dunstan's College
Number of Senior pupils as of 2010 (aged 11 - 18): 553
Average Class Size: 18 - 20
Percentage of pupils achieving 5+ A*-C or equivalents including A*-C in both English and mathematics GCSEs (2013): 96%
Percentage of Key Stage 4 pupils achieving the English Baccalaureate (2013): 71%
FT Ranking (2011): 309
Inspection Report: http://bit.ly/1pv05Zl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both the schools have extended their deadline to the 4th of March so not long before we have to make our choice, will speak to our ds again and see what he thinks. But if the parents evening and the above information is anything to go by, then its St Dunstans 1 - 0 Colfes...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now