Allocations Day - Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Allocations Day - Bucks

Post by Sally-Anne »

I now have this year's school preferences to give an early indication of the likely availability of places on Monday.

The figures are, of course, based on preferences made post-qualification this year. Successful Selection Reviews are included in the figures.

Code: Select all

SCH	PAN	2014	2013	Chge	% 
AGS	180	 180	 183	 -3	-2%
AHS	180	 167	 152	+15	9%
BHS	150	 153	 150	 +3	2%
BGS	150	 122	  97	+25	20%
CGS	180	 141	  97	+44	31%
DCG	180	 230	 215	+15	7%
DCH	150	 201	 158	+43	21%
JHG	150	 112	 130	-18	-16%
RGS	182	 189	 154	+35	19%
RGS(B) 10	  12	   2	+10	83%
RLS	174	 194	 215	-21	-11%
SHF	150	 106	  80	+26	25%
SWB	120	 132	 124	 +8	6%
WHS	180	 174	 147	+27	16%
	 2,136  2,113  1,904  +209	10%
If you are uncertain about the prospect of gaining a place, please read these numbers in conjunction with the past allocation distances, particularly those for 2013: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; That will give you a very rough idea of whether the distance for allocation might be shorter or longer this year.
Bearz

Re: Allocations Day - Bucks

Post by Bearz »

Thanks for this info. I would be interested to know if these figures include out of catchment/out of county applicants who qualified with 121.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The figures include every qualified applicant from any address worldwide.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

4 sleeps to go (if I was managing to sleep!)

Are these figures showing 1st choice preference? So I'd be right in assuming 12 more people put SWBGS as first choice. Am so sure that we'll not get in despite being catchment ... Hate the whole system and the fact that my ds having jumped through so many hoops may not get into his catchment school :( Off to read about over subscription appeals ...
Last edited by kittymum on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ccl

Post by ccl »

Sorry if this is a silly question - going through 11+ the third time, but still haven't grasped everything... - D

Are all these acronyms g-schools?

Does this table indicate that eg all 180 children who qualified (through 11+ or review) and chose (as first choice) AGS get a place.
and that JHG will after the allocation on Monday have 38 unfilled places (so anyone who has passed the test will get in no matter distance (well, assuming that none of the eg dcg applicants who didn't get their first choice(dcg) live closer and picked jhg as second choice)).

If I've understood correctly from the total numbers of 2113 and 2136, all children who passed will get a gs place (?)

Also, did 209 more children pass compared to last year?

Thanks
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

kittymum wrote:Are these figures showing 1st choice preference? So I'd be right in assuming 12 more people put SWBGS as first choice.
Sorry, yes - they are indeed first preferences, and there were 12 more first preferences for SWBGS than last year.
Are all these acronyms g-schools?
Yes, they are. Sorry to use abbreviations, but if I use full names it takes forever to post in Code and get the columns to line up! The abbreviations are explained here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=13687" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does this table indicate that eg all 180 children who qualified (through 11+ or review) and chose (as first choice) AGS get a place.
and that JHG will after the allocation on Monday have 38 unfilled places (so anyone who has passed the test will get in no matter distance (well, assuming that none of the eg dcg applicants who didn't get their first choice(dcg) live closer and picked jhg as second choice)).
That is the catch - some children whose first preference is for an oversubscribed school will be allocated places at other schools. We have no way of knowing which schools they placed as their second preference and what impact that will have. For that reason, I usually describe this as the "Rough Guide to Allocations".
If I've understood correctly from the total numbers of 2113 and 2136, all children who passed will get a gs place (?)
Yes, pretty much so, but some may not receive an offer of a place at their higher preference schools. It all comes down to geography, and there are known pressure points in the system, particularly in South Bucks.
Also, did 209 more children pass compared to last year?
**Edited to remove nonsense posted by S-A when not reading the question!**

No, 209 more parents expressed preferences for a Bucks GS than last year.

I am told that this year there were 815 Review cases, and 342 (42%) of them were successful. (That compares with 221/859, 26% last year.)
ccl

Post by ccl »

Thanks, Sally-Anne

I am somewhat surprised.

Personally, (being at a state primary) I got the impression that less children qualified than previous years (my sample size of schools is quite small though). Maybe (?) what happened this year was that: A) More private school children took the test and qualified and/or B) More OOC children took the test and qualified and/or C) State school children in county did better than previous years. I guess we'll have to wait a few months to figure this out.

Anyway, lovely to see that all children who qualified got a place.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

ccl wrote:B) More OOC children took the test and qualified
The answer is B. I don't know the exact numbers, but there has been a significant rise in what we are calling "educational tourism" - children from all round the country taking the test in multiple 11+ areas and cherry-picking supposedly more prestigious schools. We have had people posting on here that their child has taken as many as 7 or 8 different tests, and I suspect some unfortunate children have taken even more than that.

The Bucks GS Heads have hopefully dealt a pretty firm blow to that by bringing forward the date to provide address evidence to 1st October this year, before the 11+ results are known.

What they cannot prevent is people using the Bucks test as a "mock" for other areas, something that has also been noticeable of late.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Sally-Anne wrote:

What they cannot prevent is people using the Bucks test as a "mock" for other areas, something that has also been noticeable of late.

Not helped by the Berkshire schools (Slough schools, Kendrick and Reading) all changing to CEM and having their exam a couple of days after the bucks test.

A colleague of mine had his son take 6 or 7 tests including the Slough consortium, bucks and Reading school. Scored highly on all of them.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Tinkers wrote:Not helped by the Berkshire schools (Slough schools, Kendrick and Reading) all changing to CEM and having their exam a couple of days after the bucks test
Is that not all changing now though? I thought I'd read somewhere that with CEM the marks from the 1st test count regardless of how many different CEM tests you do.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now