Monitoring performance at secondary

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
silverysea

Monitoring performance at secondary

Post by silverysea »

Hi all you experienced secondary parents-a question for you, especially those with lazy, disorganised, secretive or just plain typical teens.

I seem to recall that some parents can monitor the marks achieved and/or homework by logging into the school website.

I want to request this facility at our school, but what is the terminology ?

Learning platform? Environment? Online? Electronic? They are always spouting so many acronyms, I am tongue-tied and don't know what to ask for!

Please help!

Ss
hermanmunster

Re: Monitoring performance at secondary

Post by hermanmunster »

I was trying to remember myself the other day! DD's GS were planning to do this but apart from us all getting passwords etc I don't think anymore ever happened - I remember looking at her attendance but that is all there ever was.... now what was it called ?? :oops:
Amber

Post by Amber »

hermanmunster wrote:I was trying to remember myself the other day! DD's GS were planning to do this but apart from us all getting passwords etc I don't think anymore ever happened - I remember looking at her attendance but that is all there ever was.... now what was it called ?? :oops:
Big Brother?

My sons' school has it under the umbrella of Parent Gateway. I've never looked at it although my younger son did show me all his merits once on there.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber wrote: Big Brother?
:lol: :lol: yep that was it! :wink: ooops just tried googling that .. Skipton gets called the "Gateway to the Dales" so have 2.3 million hits :?
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

We'll I thought if titling this How to Spy on Your Child but it seemed too long.

I've now found it's called VLE for our school but parents are only allowed to see a course on how to parent, stuff like making them go to bed, like I got in infants.

It's like every contact with the medical profession I am admonished not to smoke. I have never smoked a single thing in my life. It's just irritating.

I would love to see her merits or anything to do with her specifically. Some schools have this facility, right? I want to ask for it but don't know how to phrase it, so as not to be told to put her to bed instead!
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

One such system is called Insight Parent Portal
KB

Post by KB »

I would start with the school web site as you might see the link on there and it might even have instructions about how to get access.
Otherwise maybe email the form tutor and explain what you want to be able to do in plain language - hopefully then they will respond in plain language!
Don't ever be concerned about not understanding all the jargon the school uses. It is their responsibility to communicate with parents in a clear manner, not your job to wade through all the mush to find what you are looking for!

Apart from the on-line info though it is worth looking at DCs books if you can as teachers often write detailed comments that won't be in the list of marks. Most staff are pleased for parents to look at these and encourage children to make sure they have taken them into account for subsequent work.

Its also worth getting into the habit of checking the homework diary/planner every night rather than once a week as staff will often send home quick notes to parents using this for minor issues - the first time homework wasn't handed in on time, book forgotten etc.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

silverysea wrote: It's like every contact with the medical profession I am admonished not to smoke. I have never smoked a single thing in my life. It's just irritating.
Very irritating I know .. I only ask those I know smoke, some who deny it and then turns out they gave up.... "yesterday".

<<<<Herman bumbles off muttering about one size fits all education and healthcare grrrrrrr>>>>>
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'd completely forgotten we could do this <negligent parent claxon> Now, what did I do with my password? Sally Anne? It says on the other thread that you know these things :)

(Herman, my GP wrote to me a couple of years ago saying that their records state I am a smoker & would I like help in giving up? I am not, and have never been, a smoker!)
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

scary mum wrote:I'd completely forgotten we could do this <negligent parent claxon> Now, what did I do with my password? Sally Anne? It says on the other thread that you know these things :)

(Herman, my GP wrote to me a couple of years ago saying that their records state I am a smoker & would I like help in giving up? I am not, and have never been, a smoker!)
A few years back, one of the research projects I was involved with started with GPs inviting smokers to participate. Cue lots of nurses complaining that patients were responding by saying that they were not and never had been a smoker, so why were they being contacted? (This bit really nothing to do with us as the instruction from the researchers was that they should write to smokers, but still...). It turned out in most cases, I think, that the search for 'smoker' had returned various statuses, including 'ex-', which they hadn't noticed :roll:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx