Habs v NLCS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Muppetdad

Habs v NLCS

Post by Muppetdad »

Hello. New to the forum. DD got both the above offers. Not sure which to take. Heard much bad press about NLCS, too much pressure / kids burned out etc. DD likes both but swaying towards habs as friends going there. We want school for DD where school and home life are balanced and where DD would be happy and thrive. DD is competitive academically, hard working and quite confident. Her personality is of a gentle, kind girl and not sure if she will feel threatened/ overshadowed by 'in your face' strong personalities she will find at one/both of these schools? Is one school more aggressive than the other?
Daogroupie

Re: Habs v NLCS

Post by Daogroupie »

I suggest you get reading while waiting for responses. If you type the names of each school at a time into the search box you will find pages of posts about these schools. From what you say about your daughter I would think that Habs will be the better fit. I know of some really lovely girls going there this year and your daughter sounds just like them. DG
Finchley mum

Post by Finchley mum »

I think Habs Girls is a more gentle school as well. But I am coming more and more to the view that there is very little between these schools so unless your DD has a strong preference, go for the nearest/easiest journey.
Blossomingflower

Post by Blossomingflower »

based on distance, nlcs is closer
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

We've always foung NLCS to be very kind and unpressured. I've been a parent there (2DDs) for 11 yrs and I'm always impressed with how they are always re-evaluating how to improve the educational and extra-curricular experience. My girls are quite different- 1 is laid back and finds everything easy and 2 is a bit of a stress head on her own. They school has completely 'got' them both. The IB is amazing and the guidence we've had so far for university preparation has been great. Not sure what horror stories you've heard but I do meet some parents who don't know when to stop pushing their girls. The school can only do so much to counteract that. Sadly, you find this in all schools of this type.
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

Go and have another look round both schools on an ordinary day and go with your gut feeling. Our DD received offers from every indie she applied to and Watford Girls. She wanted Habs. I went and had another look at the favoured two schools and had a chat with a Deputy ahead and the then Head of a Middle School and agreed Habs was the one for her. Seven years on, we've never regretted for a minute.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now