Advice on late sitting of kent test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Twizzle

Advice on late sitting of kent test

Post by Twizzle »

Hi everyone! We have recently moved to Kent and my Son will be sitting the kent test (old format) in two or three weeks! I'm just looking for any advice on the best way to prepare him and what to expect on the day. Also, any ideas about the kind of things he may have to do for the writing part of the test? Thank you.
Twinkle

Re: Advice on late sitting of kent test

Post by Twinkle »

You need to purchase GL Assessment papers ( NVR, VR and Maths) as these are closest to the real thing. There are two different packs for each subject - so 8 papers in total per subject. I doubt you will have time to do that many in the time available so probably best to concentrate on pack 1 for each subject. No need to practice for the creative writing IMO.
MadHatter

Post by MadHatter »

Welcome to the forum! Has your son done any generic prep already or anything specific to 11 plus in another area? There is a lot you can do in 2-3 weeks, though of course your journey will be easier if your son is familiar with verbal reasoning, non-verbal reasoning, has a decent level in maths and has had some exposure to multiple choice style questions. GL Assessment set the papers for the old-style test so I would strongly suggest buying their two packs of test papers for maths, VR and NVR (4 papers in each pack) and having your son work through them between now and the day he sits. These should be very similar to what he will encounter on the day. Give the maths a special focus - it seems to have been the decider in many cases this year. If you have time, identifying the particular GL question types that trip him up and returning to these time and again (or making up your own along similar lines) can make a big difference.

I wouldn't worry too much about the written paper. It is only marked if your son fails to reach the pass mark, and only then (I believe) if he is a borderline case, in which case his head teacher can request a review (you might want to make sure your head teacher aware of this). That is assuming head teacher reviews are available for late sittings - someone on here should know or you could try calling KCC admissions.

Best of luck!

(crossed posts with Twinkle!)
Kentishmaid

Post by Kentishmaid »

I agree with both the above, but would suggest that for the Maths in particular you look at the second set of GL papers before the first - recently the maths paper has seemed closer to pack 2 than pack 1.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Kentishmaid wrote:I agree with both the above, but would suggest that for the Maths in particular you look at the second set of GL papers before the first - recently the maths paper has seemed closer to pack 2 than pack 1.
Has it seemed closer in difficulty-level, Kentishmaid? Is there a substantial difference between pack 1 and 2 sofaras difficulty goes?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Twizzle

Post by Twizzle »

Ahhhh, thanks ladies! Have ordered some, should arrive tomorrow. Do you have any examples of the kind of things he could be asked to do for writing? Is it likely to be an essay title or more of a comprehension paper? X
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

An essay title
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now