Mandy

Watford Grammar

Post by Mandy »

Maths 50 questions and VR 80-85 questions, both in 50 minutes
joe

Watford Grammer

Post by joe »

Hi
I am new at this. My son is nearly nine and I am very keen to get him into Watford Grammer.

Can anyone who has been through the process please help me:

1. Exactly what tests do children take.
2. When do they take them?
3. What set of materials provide the closest approximation to the tets - I am completely confused by the large number of brands that are available and some of them seem very different!
4. Are the tests multiple choice or written answers.
5. What standardised scores were required for the last set and does it vary much.
6. Is there any specific advice you would give me from your experience?
7. Is there a book/guide which explains all of the above

Thanks from a confused father
Joe
Watford Grammar Dad

Your questions

Post by Watford Grammar Dad »

1. The children take two papers, back to back, on a Saturday: Maths and Verbal Reasoning. The school acts as a consortium, which means that if you apply for more than one Watford based Grammar School then the single set of exams suffice (i.e. the results) are shared by all the schools.

2. The exams last year were in early November.

3. The exams are written by Nfer-Nelson, available at a discount on this website (25%).

4. Multiple Choice

5. Not sure, but a comfort level is circa 125

6. Prepare through serious practice - Watford Grammar is a partially selective school, which means that siblings get into the school without exams, and they offer a number of music scholarships, thus the competition for the remaining places is very tough.

7. There is no book, but they have a very helpful admissions team, and make sure you attend the open days in October. If you miss that day, you will be offered private tours of the school too.

If you are confused please call the school or alternatively this website as they know they school well and advised me brilliantly last year. My son completed 50 minute the exams in less than 20 minutes each using the free tips I got on the phone.
Watford Grammer Dad

Re: Your questions

Post by Watford Grammer Dad »

Many many thanks for your kind reply. Good to have some first hand information and I shall follow up on your advice.
Joe
Watford Grammar Dad wrote:1. The children take two papers, back to back, on a Saturday: Maths and Verbal Reasoning. The school acts as a consortium, which means that if you apply for more than one Watford based Grammar School then the single set of exams suffice (i.e. the results) are shared by all the schools.

2. The exams last year were in early November.

3. The exams are written by Nfer-Nelson, available at a discount on this website (25%).

4. Multiple Choice

5. Not sure, but a comfort level is circa 125

6. Prepare through serious practice - Watford Grammar is a partially selective school, which means that siblings get into the school without exams, and they offer a number of music scholarships, thus the competition for the remaining places is very tough.

7. There is no book, but they have a very helpful admissions team, and make sure you attend the open days in October. If you miss that day, you will be offered private tours of the school too.

If you are confused please call the school or alternatively this website as they know they school well and advised me brilliantly last year. My son completed 50 minute the exams in less than 20 minutes each using the free tips I got on the phone.
Mike

Re: Your questions

Post by Mike »

Quote "My son completed 50 minute the exams in less than 20 minutes each using the free tips I got on the phone "

Thanks for that valuable insight Watford Grammer Dad.
Can you explain the "free tips" to speed up your childs test please.

Many thanks.

Hoping to be a Watford Grammer Dad next year. - Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now