Have you planned how to tell your DC about their allocation?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bravado

Have you planned how to tell your DC about their allocation?

Post by bravado »

I thought it may be an idea to have a thread for people to contribute their ideas and for those who haven't yet formulated a plan of how to tell their DC about the school they've been allocated, to maybe glean some inspiration.

It would be lovely if posters could tell us how they did it in previous years and what the reaction was - would they change anything?
Bikkigirl

Re: Have you planned how to tell your DC about their allocat

Post by Bikkigirl »

I am a first timer and really wish I had given it more thought, his mark should get him a grammar school place but his heart is set on KEGS and I'm not sure how he'll feel if he doesn't get it, I think he'll be really upset. If he doesn't get KEGS I don't think I'll tell him until after school so he has some time to get over it before he sees his school friends. I know of people who have bought cards etc for their DC's and I wish I had thought of that. Any thoughts from anyone who has been through it before would be welcome!
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

Bikkigirl
With your score you should get KEGS no sweat. Don't worry enjoy the moment with your family. Good luck
jojo2305

Post by jojo2305 »

My dd has just started showing real interest today in CCHS, think she has been hiding her true feelings incase she doesn't get a place but she wants us to wake her tonight whatever the outcome. Would anyone else wake their dc if it wasn't the school they had hoped for? I think that I shall leave her sleeping.
talea51

Post by talea51 »

My dd wants me to wake her up and tell her but I am not going to. If it's what she wants she'll be too excited to go back to sleep and if it's not, she'll be disappointed and won't sleep so I can only envisage a lose-lose scenario here!

I am going to tell her when she wakes up tomorrow morning. Stupidly, I haven't got her a card or box of choccies or anything like that, however - they are at a guides and brownies thing this afternoon so I think I'll pop to the shops and get her a card and some flowers! She'll like that!

We are going out to dinner tomorrow night with friends to celebrate no matter what school she gets and also to celebrate dd2's tap exam results. This is a surprise for my dds so no telling Ok? :D
Redtabby

Post by Redtabby »

We woke our DS up at midnight and showed him his first choice allocation on the iPad.... Only I forgot he didn't have his glasses on so he couldn't read the screen properly!

We did 'take 2' with his glasses on and all cried with joy.

We woke up his older sister, DS phoned the grandparents who promptly came round with a bottle of champagne, he also phoned an uncle and auntie to break the good news.

We all stayed up celebrating with the children until 1am, then sent them back to bed then stayed up drinking more champagne with the grandparents until 3am!

It was a one off situation and we broke all the rules about bedtimes and disturbing their sleep for that one night only.

One year on, we all still look back at it as one of the most memorable occasions in quite some time.
Bikkigirl

Post by Bikkigirl »

I'm definitely not going to wake him up, I haven't mentioned it at all this weekend and I think he may have forgotten as he hasn't said a word!! Just me checking the admission website in case it's posted early...think I'm going crazy! I think I'll pop out and get him a card and some chocs too....
Bikkigirl

Post by Bikkigirl »

Redtabby that sounds great actually but my parents won't thank me for waking them up even with that news! I do think knowing your result in advance can help to take some of the guess work out of what will happen on offer day and knowing he'll get a grammar place makes me much less of a basket case than I would be if I didn't know. When we got the result he spent a lot of time (maybe a month) checking and rechecking the results guidance sheet. I know we are very lucky to be in this position :D
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Redtabby - brilliant post, just what everyone needed this weekend.

We were fortunate and are pretty sure of a place, we let DS choose some champagne.. and have it sprayed over himself to look like Lewis Hamilton. It is, as you remember, a great memory.

My parents, DS's grandparents, wouldn't give a hoot.. they just don't understand why we make all these compromises and work so hard to give our children the best education that we can. Probably exactly why I am as I am !
mclm

Post by mclm »

I wasn't going to tell my DD's until the morning, but in both cases they appeared on the stairs at about 11.50pm so don't be surprised if you have company!

Will be thinking of you all - good luck!