Are 11+ resutls public knowledge?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Are 11+ resutls public knowledge?

Post by Guest »

Just wondering how many from our primary school passed the Kent Test last year (I don't want to know names!) Is that public knowledge? If so, how would I find out?

I know a lot of children round here (east Kent) go to grammar schools without passing the Kent Test, they get in on the grammar school tests. I heard a mum saying that her daughter is at the girls' grammar and she is only one of two in her class who passed the Kent Test! What on earth does that mean? Is the test too hard?

BTW, hope my username shows up and I don't coem up as Guest again, I can never remember what I ahve to do!

Thanks!

Denis denis

Post by Guest »

As regards pass rates, Kent CC don't publish this information but you can request it and they will then supply it to you. The Kent Messenger generally publishes a table showing how many children sat and how many passed the test at each school in the area covered by that edition. Alternatively, have you tried just asking your school? I would think that most schools would tell parents.

Are you in the Dover area by any chance? I gather that some schools in that area are traditionally undersubscribed by children who have passed the Kent test so they fill the empty places through their own exams.

The reason is likely to be because the pass mark for the Kent test is the same across the whole local authority area and is set so as to have a certain overall percentage of candidates pass. If children in one area of the county do better than children in another area then there will be a higher pass rate in the first area and a lower pass rate in the latter.

Generally children in West Kent have a higher pass rate than those from East Kent. But that doesn't mean that there are more grammar school places available in the West. The result is that in some parts of the county (West Kent and Maidstone last year) there aren't enough grammar places for all the children who pass, whilst in some other places there are too many. As I don't think that children in East Kent are likely to be naturally less talented, I suspect that this is because more children in West Kent are coached for the exam. Lucky you, then, to be in East Kent; It's easier to get a grammar place and the children they will learn with are just as bright as those to be found in other, oversubscribed, grammars.
katel

Post by katel »

Our schools were in the Faversham Times sometime in April, I think. I've got the cutting somewhere, so if you are in my area, I might be able to tell you!
denis denis

Post by denis denis »

Thanks Guest, that's really interesting (and you guessed where I live!) Think I will ring the school tomorrow and ask about 11+ passes.

And KAtel - thanks very much for the offer, but we're in different parts of Kent so I don't think your area would cover mine.
denis denis

Post by denis denis »

Just an update - just rang KCC to ask about this and the Kent Test pass rate for the Dover area last year was 14.78% for first time passes! Over in Tunbridge Wells the figure rises to about 38%! I'm really surprised. I know we're a rough old area :lol: but I didn't think we were that bad!

Post by Guest »

Denis denis
I think the figures which you have been given must be for the percentage of all eligible children who took and passed the test, rather than the pass rate for those who actually sat the exam. Round here (Weald / T Wells) the pass rate for those candidates who actually take the exam is around 65%. Could it be that in your area far fewer children sit the test? Do you, for example, have a high number of recent immigrants who don't know the system or are still learning English?
denis denis

Post by denis denis »

Anonymous wrote:Denis denis
I think the figures which you have been given must be for the percentage of all eligible children who took and passed the test, rather than the pass rate for those who actually sat the exam. Round here (Weald / T Wells) the pass rate for those candidates who actually take the exam is around 65%. Could it be that in your area far fewer children sit the test? Do you, for example, have a high number of recent immigrants who don't know the system or are still learning English?
Hi, that was exactly my thoughts, but the woman I spoke to at KCC assured me that it was the number of children who pass the Kent Test, not all those eligible. Looking at it again today, I'm sure it's not right, though. It can't be that low, surely?

Post by Guest »

Denis denis
If you open this document and scroll down to page 14 you will find a table showing the percentage of children at grammar schools in each area. This is obviously a percentage of all the school children in the area, not just the ones who sat the test. Sorry, my IT skills are too feeble to enable me to cut and paste the table!

http://www.clusterweb.org.uk/UserFiles/ ... n_0707.pdf

Post by Guest »

Ps
If you make it all the way to pg 35 you will find out what KCC are planning in your area.

Post by Guest »

PPs
For any of you in West Kent. I'm puzzled by the proposed reduction of places at TGS by 140 over the next 2 years. Does anyone know anything about this? As there are no cuts planned in 2008, this would mean taking no year 7 girls in at all in 2009!! A typo? Me being thick? KCC expecting the buildings to fall down and cause mass fatalities?