Allocation reconsideration advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

twinksy

Allocation reconsideration advice

Post by twinksy »

Hi there congratulations to everyone who got the school they wanted and huge sympathy and huge hugs, if like me, you didnt get the outcome you wanted x

My DS qualifed by one point for crypt, 108.5, but has not been offered a place. We will apppeal but I see mention of reconsideration. Would thiis be through the LA? Would appreciate any advice.
mamar

Re: Allocation reconsideration advice

Post by mamar »

Hi twinksy, we are in exactly the same boat this morning, so know how you feel. We would also like to understand better what reconsideration actually means and how to go about it. Fingers crossed places become available, we can't be that far away as I noticed someone posting 199 for Crypt which I think was their STRS score, as ours for STRS was 197 they must have been close to our 108.5 scores, so there is hope!!!
cazien

Post by cazien »

Yes that's right. Accept the school place you have been offered and confirm you want reconsideration for Crypt. The Council will then wait for all replies to come in and "reshuffle" those who have turned down places. It is a known fact that parents of pupils in private schools make their children sit the exam, then if their child passes use this as leverage to get their fees reduced. This opens places up at the Grammars. You will be on the waiting list in order of pass mark, so it is waiting game to see if you are offered a place. If not, I'm afraid appeal is your only other option. Wish you the best of luck - Crypt is a fab school.
Pinkoddy

Post by Pinkoddy »

mamar wrote:Hi twinksy, we are in exactly the same boat this morning, so know how you feel. We would also like to understand better what reconsideration actually means and how to go about it. Fingers crossed places become available, we can't be that far away as I noticed someone posting 199 for Crypt which I think was their STRS score, as ours for STRS was 197 they must have been close to our 108.5 scores, so there is hope!!!
Yes sorry that was me and have amended. Best of luck.
twinksy

Post by twinksy »

cazien wrote:Yes that's right. Accept the school place you have been offered and confirm you want reconsideration for Crypt. The Council will then wait for all replies to come in and "reshuffle" those who have turned down places. It is a known fact that parents of pupils in private schools make their children sit the exam, then if their child passes use this as leverage to get their fees reduced. This opens places up at the Grammars. You will be on the waiting list in order of pass mark, so it is waiting game to see if you are offered a place. If not, I'm afraid appeal is your only other option. Wish you the best of luck - Crypt is a fab school.
Thank you x I hadnt realised that bout Pates and private schools. Not good. Yes my son loved the look of crypt, everything crossed x
twinksy

Post by twinksy »

mamar wrote:Hi twinksy, we are in exactly the same boat this morning, so know how you feel. We would also like to understand better what reconsideration actually means and how to go about it. Fingers crossed places become available, we can't be that far away as I noticed someone posting 199 for Crypt which I think was their STRS score, as ours for STRS was 197 they must have been close to our 108.5 scores, so there is hope!!!
I emailed crypt this am and luckil got a response from admissions membe of staff. Apparently they havent gone to threshold score this year and 108.5 is thr next group to be offered. Fngers crossed for us that places are freed up. x Hugs x
swoops

Post by swoops »

This is probably a silly question, but I just want to make sure I don't mess it up! DD didn't get first choice of GS but did get our local comp, these is an option on the acceptance page to go on waiting list for the GS, is this the reconsideration thingy? If so I presume I need to select this as well as accepting the comp?

Ok it's still early and have just actually read the page! :oops: Reconsideration info will be sent with letter as we didn't get first choice.
cazien

Post by cazien »

swoops wrote:This is probably a silly question, but I just want to make sure I don't mess it up! DD didn't get first choice of GS but did get our local comp, these is an option on the acceptance page to go on waiting list for the GS, is this the reconsideration thingy? If so I presume I need to select this as well as accepting the comp?

Ok it's still early and have just actually read the page! :oops: Reconsideration info will be sent with letter as we didn't get first choice.
If you don't receive your first choice GCC has to inform you why not. On the form you will be able to state which school you are asking the Council to reconsider for you. Please everyone - accept the place you have been offered, even if you are asking for reconsideration/appealing. If you have to appeal, you contact the school directly.
Monkeyfeet

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Just spoke to marling there cut off was in 221 so some boys with 221 have got in and some not they won't give out rankings until reconsideration so fc were close x
capers123

Post by capers123 »

cazien wrote:Please everyone - accept the place you have been offered, even if you are asking for reconsideration/appealing.
This advice is spot on.

To elaborate, if you don't accept the place you've been offered, you risk, come September, either not having a place at any school, or being allocated one at a school not on your list that could be the other side of the county.

Accepting the place offered will not have an adverse affect on reconsideration or an appeal.
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now