Time to start appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
imustbecrazy

Time to start appeal

Post by imustbecrazy »

I know this may need to go to appeal forum, but it seems full of Bucks, no Glos! Quick question DD missed passing for SHS by a few points so we knew we would have to appeal. Should I email school and ask questions, if so what? Maybe did they fill all places etc. Has anyone here been turned away that passed? Any advice where to start would be much appreciated.
MedievalBabe

Re: Time to start appeal

Post by MedievalBabe »

We went to appeal last year, but we knew long before allocation day that we would be. If I remember rightly once allocation day happened I contacted the schools directly (crypt and STR) and they sent me an appeal pack. I wouldn't contact today, leave it a day or two as the admissions officer will be fielding phone calls as it is. There is no specific hurry as they don't send the packs out immediately and there is time before they have to be returned.
Parismum

Post by Parismum »

Found the same on the appeals section, imustbecrazy, would be interested to hear from anyone with experience of an oversubscription/extenuating circumstances appeal for Pate's - successful ones are a rare thing, I know, but would be grateful even just for anecdotes of the experience. Thanks
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

From friends who have been through it, I know to appeal there have to be extenuating circumstances. So, while you are waiting I would consider your case to see if realistically you would be successful. Such circumstances are:

Bereavement
Special needs of child/family member
Illness or injury (but would have needed to obtain Drs note on or around the day)

Good luck !
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

DC17C posted some feedback links for Gloucestershire

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 16&t=34331" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LEA Admissions Appeal page http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/artic ... ut-appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/artic ... hool-place" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Parismum

Post by Parismum »

Thanks all, not really sold on the appeal idea, (DH keener, unsurprisingly, as it would be me doing all the work :wink: ) but will think long and hard and look at all the info before we decide.
NancyB

Post by NancyB »

When you say
Quick question DD missed passing for SHS by a few points so we knew we would have to appeal
can you confirm that you mean 'didn't get over the pass mark' as opposed to 'passed but not high enough to be offered a place'.

If it's 'not passed', then first you'll have to appeal to get a place, and prove at the appeal that your daughter is bright enough - and deserves a place more than other children appealling.
imustbecrazy

Post by imustbecrazy »

Correct DD missed pass mark by few points. She is now working at level 5 and being put forward for level 6, all at her new school. We moved her right after test, as she'd begged to move for 2 years, as unhappy (bullying being main cause). If stayed at old school she was making level 4/5, in a few short months she a different child. There are reasons for not doing better, and I was completely shocked she didn't pass as she is more than capable.
W e haven't even got our 1st choice comp (2nd of our total choices after shs), instead our last choice with a long car journey each day!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Hi I am lurking - as a Mum who went through the appeal process last year...and survived! I would appeal in your situation.
Read through all the appeal info on the eleven plus forum- there is a lot of very useful guidance there.
Get all your academic info sorted - level 3 at end KS1 would be helpful, look through school reports - Yr5 reports are what they will ask to see but look to see if any helpful comments or evidence re bullying etc in previous reports. Current school should be able to give you a letter with current working NC levels, any NFER/CAT test results and predicted SAT results.
Let things settle down a bit before making phone calls but once the reconsiderations and re allocation stage has happened find out if the allocation is up to PAN and also how many appeals have been successful in the past - I don't know for SHS but the school may well tell you if you ask.
pm me if you wish
regards DC
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

We were also successful with our appeal, it was on medical grounds which meant DS was below threshold marks.

I do agree with DC17 with letting things settle, it won't harm you to order the appeals pack in a few days but the numbers need to settle with allocations and rejigging over the next month. Finding out how many appeals over PAN are successful may help put your mind at rest or stress you out further. :roll:

You will need the academic evidence and you may also need to find some evidence of bullying if you are going to use that as part of your case. If possible get your new head on your side as you may need a letter to back up your case.

I know how you feel.