QE Boys vs HABS Boys

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

puch

QE Boys vs HABS Boys

Post by puch »

I’m in a dilemma and have come here for some guidance. My DS did well in all independent school exams that he appeared for and have also received scholarships. He has also done well in the grammar school exams and we are very confident that he will get in to QE when the results are out this afternoon. He is a clever boy academically with interest in sports and is very keen on HABS. He does understand financial commitment for HABS.
I’m willing to consider the financial burden as long as a right school is chosen for his future and that is where I’m very confused.
Can I have your views In terms of outcome of boys at the end of GCSE/A level form both of these schools and merit/demerits of these schools? Considering that for HABS we have to confirm acceptance by 5th March, I will appreciate your views!
Jean.Brodie

Re: QE Boys vs HABS Boys

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi! Congratulations to you and your son!

We know a number of current and recent QE boys. They have all done well, having worked very hard, and don't mind the regime. One thing to bear in mind is that QE re-selects around 140 out of the 180 in Year 11, with 40 having to leave and find another Sixth Form. But it sounds as if your son should make this cut and, indeed, is likely to very well at either school. Sport is strong at both schools.

Personally, I would be wary of the financial 'burden' of Habs fees and extras for seven years as it can take its toll.

Again, many congratulations!
superdifey

Post by superdifey »

Congrats to you. We had the same choice last year and opted for Habs Boys for a number of reasons, but I want to stress this was an extremely personal choice and very much related to my son and how I felt he would react in the two very different environments. The main reason was that we felt there was a joy of learning evident at Habs which we did not feel at QE, and he had exactly the same feelings. We felt that there was more academic pressure at QE which he would not thrive under, whereas at Habs they put equal importance on all the extra curricular activities and in fact expect the boys to spend time having fun. At QE we felt that the stress was that the extra curricular was more learning (eg they could take an additional language in an after school club, but it was all about gaining another GCSE). I know many QE boys, most of whom are very happy there, but they do employ a very strict regime which some boys don't react well to and to be honest, I wasn't sure that was what I wanted for my son's education. If you are unsure about Habs, they do offer a 'make your mind up' tour in small groups where you can visit the school again. So far my DS is loving Habs and I do not regret the choice, even though it is a big financial commitment.
lara228

Post by lara228 »

No contest - if you can afford HABS go for it, your son will mix with a far more diverse cohort of boys than at QE - my son has friends and classmates from all social/economic and ethnic backgrounds at HABS - possibly because of the school interviewing boys after exams and wanting to get a good mix. QE takes the best and pushes them and it seems that in this day and age that means boys from a particular background succeeding over others in the exams.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

I'll go for QE anyday even though I can afford it.

With the money saved on Habs say 140K (20K x 7 years), buy a 1 bed flat and gift it to your DS (when he grows up) for all the hard work. What do you say? :)
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi lara228,

You say that ' boys from a particular background [succeed]' at QE Boys.

Which background?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Also QE does not "take the best" They have no choice. They have to allocate places in ranking order. They cannot make any decisions based on social background. I also do not believe that HABS deliberately take a social mix. They take the boys who do well in the exam and perform well in interview. They need to maintain their ranking in the league tables in order to for parents to be attracted to the school so that is always going to be uppermost. Social background does not come into it unless you count the prep schools boys getting their own open days and their Heads having cosy chats with their Head and the various gentlemen's agreements with the prep schools. I think HABS is a great school but some parents I know this year were put off by what they felt was an elitist attitude from the Head and turned down their offers in favour of a more welcoming approach from St Albans boys. HABS certainly does not have a more diverse cohort of boys than QE when it comes to social mix. I would expect their boys from prep schools to be well over 50% possibly even 70%. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now