Is it too late to start preparing for Tiffin 2014 test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Orangeplum

Is it too late to start preparing for Tiffin 2014 test

Post by Orangeplum »

We would like to get our DS to sit the Tiffin exam next Autumn. We have come late to this whole thing and from reading this forum I am pretty panicked that everyone seems to have been preparing for quite some time.

Are we too late and do you have any tips to share about preparing for the exams?

Well done to all those who have just had an offer and good luck to those near the cut off.

Thanks in advance for any guidance. :)
Hedwig

Re: Is it too late to start preparing for Tiffin 2014 test

Post by Hedwig »

It is never too late to start but it is important to be realistic about the capabilities of your DS or DD. If you focus on the gaps in their learning and any weaknesses then it is possible to make amazing progress in a short time.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily be seduced by tutors - the best successes I have seen have been specific teaching carried out at home with bright, hardworking children. Also, it is possible for children to pass with little or no additional work. My DS3 did very, very little preparation; some reading over the summer and covered some specific maths topics - I think that's rare though.

Good luck - spend plenty of time absorbing the wealth of information on this forum. It really is the best resource of all.
tiffinboys

Re: Is it too late to start preparing for Tiffin 2014 test

Post by tiffinboys »

For a bright child, 6 - 7 months are more than enough to prepare for Tiffin VR/NVR tests. Learn techniques well before embarking on difficult practice papers. Both accuracy and speed are important.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now