Appeal process

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Vaw

Appeal process

Post by Vaw »

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light for me? My daughter failed her entrance exam for ***** grammar, I did submit a special circumstances form as her grandmother had been diagnosed with cancer a few months prior to the exam, this had a huge impact on her, in addition to this she has been bullied throughout primary school which has caused her confidence to suffer, in addition to this her father and I separated a few years ago which has also impacted heavily, with all this in mind her score was not that far off review, however she was unsuccessful, I was informed that I would be able to appeal to Trafford council and have received her allocation letter with not much information with regards to the appeal process, I'm really unsure how to progress, I do have another daughter that attends the school and I really feel that the stability of her sister being there will help her immensely due to her previous experiences, she is developing in leaps and bounds this year as bullying has subsided and I really do feel she deserves this opportunity.

Any advice would be appreciated!!! Thanks again!
Etienne

Re: Appeal process

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)

You've covered extenuating circumstances, and reasons for wanting a place.

What about academic evidence?

Have you seen the Q&As?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Vaw

Post by Vaw »

What kind of academic evidence would be required? My daughter has progressed well this year in terms of getting back on track, she has progressed from attainment last summer; English writing; 3a-4b, reading; 4c, maths 4c-4b obviously she has suffered however having a tutor and support in school is doing much better and get confidence is increasing. I'm not sure where this places her, she is obviously on target and her summer targets have been set around the 4a target which I'm sure she will not achieve.

Any advice would be appreciated!!
Thanks again
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

What kind of academic evidence would be required?
Click on the link I provided above - and scroll down to the fourth question:
"What academic evidence do I need?"
Etienne
Vaw

Post by Vaw »

Thank you very much, this helps an awful lot, her recent report specifies that if she pushes herself she will achieve level 5s there is a huge noted improvement since the new headteacher has focused attention on dealing with the bullying situation and I am able to evidence via reports the huge dip then most recently the vast improvements!!! I will also ask for a letter from the headteacher and hope this will evidence the progress made etc.

Thank you again for your advice!!!
Vaw

Post by Vaw »

Hi again,
I have managed to collate all my daughters reports which do show a huge dip and improvement etc, I have received an appeal letter which asks to "give a brief outline of your reasons for appealing" the area is under half a page of a4 and it does suggest that additional information can be supplied on an a4 sheet, with this in mind I do not want to twitter on!! I would really appreciate some feedback on how to structure the reply and what I should be detailing within my reply.

Kind Regards :)
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

If you have a look at A43 here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It will give you a place to start. I found it easier to type my response and noted the attachments on the reply form.
Vaw

Post by Vaw »

Hi again, I am just about to post my daughters appeal and would just like to know if what I am writing is on the right lines, my appeal is as follows;
I would like to appeal ***** test results on the following basis;
> **** has been bullied throughout primary school, this has caused **** to become withdrawn, lack in focus and enthusiasm with regards to her education.
>the breakdown of **** parental unit which occurred prior to her returning to school following the summer break into year 6
>**** birthdate; 30.08.03 this has resulted in **** being the youngest child in her year
>**** grandmother with who she is very close to was diagnosed with cancer last summer prior to her sitting her examination
>following the recruitment of a new headteacher during year 5, bullying was dealt with effectively, this had never been addressed in such a way despite my constant concerns being raised, following this **** has become more confident and egar to learn.
>I have enclosed school reports which highlight **** dip in grades and more recently evidence her hard work which has brought her back inline.

Just wondering if anyone could let me know if this is along the right lines and make suggestions on areas which may need rewording? Thank you in advance!!
Vaw

Post by Vaw »

In addition to this I have forgotten to mention;
>**** has an older sibling that attends the school.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi

I've removed the school name from your first post, as you're giving out quite a bit of personal information.

Your written statement looks unbalanced to me - it's all about extenuating circumstances. There's just a hint of academic evidence in "I have enclosed school reports which highlight **** dip in grades and more recently evidence her hard work which has brought her back inline", and you mention the sibling as an afterthought (without saying why this matters).

Where have you got to with point 5 mentioned earlier?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"What academic evidence do I need?"

And wasn't point 7 of some help with how to structure a submission?
"Can you help with a letter of appeal (addressing the issues of non-qualification and oversubscription)?"

Lots of advice in the Q&As! :)
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now