Is this too much tutoring

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Is this too much tutoring

Post by Guest »

I have heard of children that have been having tutoring for 5 hours+ per day and even have had to have the day off school to pratice just before the Bucks exam.

During half term she was there from 8 in the morning until 2 in the afternoon....personally I think this is way too much for a child and should they need this much coaching at this stage or his this tutor just out there to make money from vounarable parents.??
surprised

Post by surprised »

I too have heard this sort of thing going on. I live in Kent and have heard of children going to revision classes and staying for 6-9 hours!!!!

Personally I feel this borders on abuse. It is absolutely ridiculous and if my child does not pass I will still not regret that I had put her in for this kind of treatment.

Shame on you the parents responsible!
Waddle

Post by Waddle »

The sad thing is that even if such heavily tutored children do pass, they may well really struggle at grammar school. Having had a successful 11+ soon pales into insignificance if Y7 and beyond is an absolute nightmare. What price childhood?!

My philosophy was a) do I think child is suited to grammar and, if so, b) tutor them enough so that they are familiar with the exam and are on a level playing field, c) make sure your 'back up' school is as good as possible.

Post by Guest »

not all these children are heavily tutored beforehand, for some a half term crash course is all the tutoring they've had whereas others have had weeks,months and in some cases even years of it!

Post by Guest »

Recommended for Bucks... to be able to sit for VR test is start in January of year child is sitting the test.
What about the DIYer's who have children sitting VR, NVR, Maths and English all on the same day? I don't think a crash course would be healthy on the child's nerves or the parents.
Agree only put a child in if you think they will cope with Grammar education.
But I do get annoyed when you get people judging how long you should take, when they don't know all the circumstances. I started with my son, from Jan of Yr5, with a view of slow and steady, as opposed to 'cram and jam'. With four areas to cover, DIYing, and the only support from this site and the excellent posters, who give a lot of good advise.
At the end of the day it's down to your own judgment, and if it doesn't happen, you'll know you've done your best, and so has your child

Post by Guest »

It seems that a large percentage of the children that do get in are heavily coached, thus the idea they will struggle later is unlikely.

Post by Guest »

Getting into a great school is good news and indeed and achievement; I myself would choose that for my child.

BUT not above the sacrifice of childhood and time out to develop social skills etc.

Post by Guest »

I think the tutor just wanted to make more money. The Half Term was not a crash course as these children have be going since the beginning of the year of course when they are first tested at the beginning their results are going that much poor. I just think it's a bit too much once a week should be enough not 2-3 times or sometimes even more.
2muchornotenough

is this too much tutoring?

Post by 2muchornotenough »

My child has been on a fairly intensive course, and he has enjoyed it, Found it challenging although he has moaned about it from time to time I can tell that he has truly loved it as he has loved the results it has produced . He has been in a fairly average junior school where I feel that he wasn't really challenged or stretched and sometimes not even engaged for atleast the last four years.Being of a quiet disposition and not disrupting the rest of the class meant that to some extent his needs were ignored. The school seemed to be very good at helping low acheivers but ignored brighter children. I feel as a direct result of tuition he has become more confident and being with a focused group of children at tuition has given him aims and ambitions.Reading some of the posts in this thread I am probably one of those parents who has sent my child on an intensive course this year (tut tut) but I have no regrets and in the long term in my opinion I've done the best thing because my son has more chance of ending up in a school more suited to his abilities. Perhaps if his school had done the job better I wouldn' t have had to send him on tuition. :idea:
neverenough

is this too much tutoring?

Post by neverenough »

The course that my child has been taking had a mock exam on one day (3.5 hours vr nvr and maths) and then 1hr sessions over the next three day s to go over the paper and revise each topic . There were also some other sessions arranged for children that didn't get over the pass mark for xtra help. Not excessive is it?