Hertfordshire admissions statistics

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Middlesexmum

Hertfordshire admissions statistics

Post by Middlesexmum »

I can't find the page with the schools and how many applied for each, could someone post the link please. Are primary school stats also available?
WP

Re: Hertfordshire admissions statistics

Post by WP »

Herts statistics are here:

http://www.hertsdirect.org/services/edl ... tionstats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Application & Allocation Statistics has some data, but the School Allocation Summary Reports have no information on schools that are their own admission authorities, like the ones we're talking about here.
Mgnmum

Post by Mgnmum »

it makes interesting reading. The rumor mill is all doom and gloom, yet in our primary school area over 70% got their 1st choice. If you live in watford itself then it is not as good news 10% got no ranked school, but it is all about understanding the system and making realistic preferences. There is no point putting 3 schools that are academic and a catholic school as your 4th, if your child did not do well enough on the test, you do not live close enough to any of them for a distance place and you are not a practicing catholic. I think there are still parents about who think that if they only put these 4 schools down then the council are obliged to give them one of them. I do think that the primary schools should explain the system far more to parents especially where it is more complicated with free schools and sibling rules, and cross siblings rules and music tests and partially selective schools and technology and sports tests etc, it gets very confusing
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Over the years for both primary and secondary I have had lots of parents say to me "They have to give me one of my choices" No they don't. Look at these charts. In some schools the number of students not getting any of their four choices is in double figures. Back up schools have to be realistic. Clearly as you say parents have not thought about putting a school down that they have a good chance of getting into. But the distance figures are published every year. Do they really not look at them? I am astonished by how many parents don't bother to start thinking about this until Y6 and then put down schools they have not even been to. DG
ajooba

Post by ajooba »

I think this is a little bit unfair. For the grammars this year the cut-off scores seem to be much higher than previous years and the distance cut-off appears to be around 220 metres or less. So a lot of parents who have done their research, even gone so far as to move into what they thought, based on previous years, was the distance catchment and with their kids achieving scores which would have got them a place in previous years, are bitterly disappointed. i don't see what more they could have done. I really hope the they drop the cross-sibling criteria soon.
whoisfk

Post by whoisfk »

Hi ,

Where did u get the distance information from ?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Read up the thread for the link. I agree with you ajooba. I was looking at areas where it is all done on distance and does not vary much year to year. The academic mark at Watfords has done a huge leap, what has been the chance in the distances? DG
ajooba

Post by ajooba »

The info on distance is from what I have been hearing from those offered a place and those who haven't been offered one, so its not from any official source but based on more than just one or people. It relates more to WGSG than to WGSB.
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

According to the FAQ for St Clement Danes school the lowest score/distance offered on allocation day this year (last year in brackets).

academic place 252 (243)
music place 33 (33 the same as last year)
distance 2809 metres (3061m)

So this ties in with information coming through that scores and distances are generally higher than last year.
Mgnmum

Post by Mgnmum »

I had no intention of upsetting those who did not get their preferred school. All i was pointing out was that statistically there isnt a huge difference in those getting their first choice compared to last year. If we all think back to October time when the results came out there were a large number of very high scores being talked about( several >270) and I wonder actually, for what ever reason, that if the old system was still being used, so we didn't know the score prior to allocation day, whether those who didn't get places would be as disappointed as they are. ( i think this probably only applies to those schools that do not give a ranking in october). I have previously stated that I think knowing the scores does not help very much as it all depends on what everyone else has got. and although it is supposed to be a standardised score, it is not standardised to this exact cohort of children.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now