TGS stage 2 English reading writing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sgsgirl

TGS stage 2 English reading writing

Post by sgsgirl »

Now that there isn't any fear of late sittings for tiffin stage 2, I'm just wondering how everyone's DDs felt the English part of the exam went. I was appalled by my DDs English marks, which inevitably brought her marks down. Her maths score was decent but English was shocking. She's already level 5 for English at school so was amazed at how low her marks for both comprehension and writing were. I remember there being such cases last year. So, the question is, how difficult was the reading and writing? There were a few texts for comprehension and a follow on type of title for the writing. Any enlightenment will be helpful to everyone now and in the future.
aram

Re: TGS stage 2 English reading writing

Post by aram »

hi sgsgirl
please if you don`t mine cay you put your daughter`s TGS score ? and also which school offered to your daughter?

thanks
aram
hina

Post by hina »

I am glad somebody else feels the same, my daughter is sitting level 6 Sats papers and her reading and writing is her favorite and she hates maths. I was so shocked at her English.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Hi everyone - it looks as if the English papers were marked very hard, as they were last year. My dd got some of the better English marks in the second stage last year and they still weren't high! She went on to get level 6 in reading comprehension and writing as well as maths for her SATS. It must just be the way TGS differentiate to try to attract strong English candidates.
nvasu

Post by nvasu »

Hi,

My daughter got raw scores of 13/20 in writing and 20/30 in reading
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

nvasu wrote:My daughter got raw scores of 13/20 in writing and 20/30 in reading
According to my calculations, see other thread, the maximum score anybody scored in the writing was 15 16/20 and a maximum of 25 26/30 in the reading so those are really good scores.

Can you just confirm that your scaled scores were 22.09 and 14.82 in reading and writing to check my calculations?

Thanks
SVE
Last edited by SunlampVexesEel on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Animis opibusque parati
nvasu

Post by nvasu »

Hi,

Yes you are correct about the scaled scores
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

Peridot wrote:Hi everyone - it looks as if the English papers were marked very hard, as they were last year. My dd got some of the better English marks in the second stage last year and they still weren't high! She went on to get level 6 in reading comprehension and writing as well as maths for her SATS. It must just be the way TGS differentiate to try to attract strong English candidates.
Yes, there was a thread on this last year. It is thought it is marked very hard by KS2 standards. there are two opposing views on this, if marking is too soft doesn't really differentiate as everyone does well (and remember only top 30% get through to second round, so probably top few percent of whole cohort), ifmarked harder most will get marks somewhere in the middle which at least creates a spread of marks.

The perception is that the markers normally do KS3, KS4 and KS5 work so aren't charitable for spelling and grammatical errors unlike primary school markers who like to encourage by crediting the good parts rather than harshly penalising the bad.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Is it fair to mark 11 yr old's work as if it was done by 14 or 16 yr old?

And doesn't this encourage tutoring?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now