Help!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Hajra

Help!

Post by Hajra »

Hi all, my nephew has missed camphill by 4 points . He has been offered a place at five ways ( brilliant !) but as they live walking distance from camphill would like to appeal. Can they accept five ways and appeal to camphill at the same time? Can somebody please enlighten as to what they should do ... Thank you all :?
FunkyMonkey

Re: Help!

Post by FunkyMonkey »

Don't they automatically go on waiting list and in the meantime accept place for their allocated school?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Presumably he will be on the waiting list for Camp Hill?

I suspect that is his best chance however there may be quite a few boys on each mark between his and the last offered place - hopefully you will be able to find his position on the list.

Re appeals, you can appeal for a place - however appeals for the foundation schools are very hard to win - you need to read through: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hajra

Post by Hajra »

Thankyou - will let them know ... This really helps.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Correct me if I am wrong but a few years back I read somewhere there could be as many as 75 boys separated by 1 mark; either folk lore or a made up urban myth
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

So far we have this info about w/l at KECHB this year
KECHB 235 (down 5) - 234 is 5th, 232 is 17th on waiting list as at 3/3/2014

so the OP's nephew presumably will be somewhere >17 on the list

and this was last years:
King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys: 240 - 2012 was 234, up 6 Places not initially offered to all 240 scores. 238 was 18th on waiting list, 235 was 42nd. Place offered from waiting list for score of 238.
Soin 2013 a boy who was on 238 (2 points below QS) was given place - sounds like they were 18th on the WL. a child 5 points below was 42nd on the list.
forward2014

Post by forward2014 »

Hi. Provided that Camp Hill has been placed as a higher choice on the LEA form than the school which has been offered, your nephew should automatically be placed on the waiting list for camp hill. His parents can phone the admissions office on 0121 415 6004 and they should be able to advise as to his position on the waiting list. His position on the list will change from time to time, so may have to phone the office regularly for updates.
KenR

Post by KenR »

You need to find out not just where he is on the waiting list but how many offers over PAN KECHB make as that will determine the true waiting. They will only make offers for boys on the waiting list once they have received rejections from parents totaling the excess.

Historically they used to make about 31 offers in excess of PAN (typically something like 124 offers for a PAN of 93) - so if you were 10th on the waiting list your effective position was 41!

Don't know how the increase in PAN this year will have impacted the KECHB offers

If you phone the KE Foundation office they will advise on both.

I'm afraid there will be little chance on appeal - KE Grammar have a different approach to other areas of the country. See previous posts on this subject:-

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... it=B%2FHam
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

Hajra:

As KenR suggests - advise your sister/ s-i-l to ring the Foundation office and learn how many offers over PAN were made at KECHB & his true position on the waiting list.

What I will say, from what I'm overhearing at work - is that many parents are deciding between KES and KECHBs right now. So there is a high chance that some will be going to the independent school freeing up places. It's just that nobody knows how many will accept just now (and we won't have an idea until after 17 March - deadline for acceptances).

KEFW is a fantastic school - and your nephew will be able to take the Green bus or public transport (or indeed get a lift) to get there - so they should be pleased.

I think the way to look at it is this: He's on the wait list for KECHB and is definitely off to KEFW. Many families would be thrilled with that outcome.

My advice going forward - so post start of school year - is continue to let KECHBs know that you want to remain on their wait list. As has been discussed elsewhere - people move, some children decide it's too much hard work & leave, etc... - so although it is a slim chance - there is the possibility of transferring to KECHBs and therefore it is worth keeping in contact with them to remain on their wait list.

Hope that helps.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Agree with all advice given. A lower score, even if it is only four points, is unlikely to be successful on appeal unless there are exceptional circumstances and even then it's still very difficult. He has still got a great score and can go to a fantastic school (my own nephew is at KEFW :D ). I'm sure he will do well wherever he goes.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now