Pls advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Blackbuck

Pls advice

Post by Blackbuck »

Hi,

My niece has been allocated a local state school as per my brother filled up on CAF.
He named Tiffins then the local secondary and finally Langley grammar. My niece name removed didn't get into Tiffins. Now we r trying to appeal to Langley to offer her a place as she scored good 121. And put her on waiting list. What do u think will be the outcome of this request. Alternately as we didn't name Herschel grammar, can we make a fresh application for it? Pls advice, thanks
scary mum

Re: Pls advice

Post by scary mum »

If you put Langley after your local school on the CAF you were never going to get allocated Langley, so it was a wasted choice. If you are local to Tiffin it is an awfully long way to travel to Langley. I suggest you build up the image of the local school for your neice in case that is where she ends up and hope to get Tiffin from the waiting list. You can still go on the waiting list for Langley (and appeal, I imagine), or any other school. Think very carefully about a long journey for seven years. I'm sure the experts will be along soon, but this is what I have gleaned from the forum over the years.
scary mum
Blackbuck

Post by Blackbuck »

We are in hounslow so both slough and Kingston are same distance.
Blackbuck

Post by Blackbuck »

Thanks Scary Mum....we are still hoping things will be alright.
chad

Post by chad »

I would phone Langley admissions and ask to be put on the waiting list ......
Blackbuck

Post by Blackbuck »

Thanks Chad! I did just that, called up both Langley and Hershel Grammars, they said if you put us on low priority or not at all our priority would still be students who put us first than you, absolutely refused to put the name on the waiting list. Lampton Park it is then, Thanks so much everyone, for all your support. Really helpful your views.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I thought they didn't know where you put them on the list? I thought you could go on any waiting list for any school & the over subscription criteria then applied? Not that I know about Slough, but it sounds odd to me.
Edited to add (from Langley Grammar website):
A waiting list will be held for all those applicants who score 111 and above but who may not offered a place initially due to over-subscription. This waiting list will operate until the end of December 2014.
Applicants who live outside the Admission Area and who are eligible for consideration on the basis of their score in the Consortium 11+ test will be offered places only if there are spaces available after all applicants residing within the Admission Area have been considered and the last applicants from the waiting list allocated places.

So, yes, unlikely to get a place from outside the area, but not due to not putting them first.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

scary mum wrote:I thought they didn't know where you put them on the list? I thought you could go on any waiting list for any school & the over subscription criteria then applied? Not that I know about Slough, but it sounds odd to me.
Edited to add (from Langley Grammar website):
A waiting list will be held for all those applicants who score 111 and above but who may not offered a place initially due to over-subscription. This waiting list will operate until the end of December 2014.
Applicants who live outside the Admission Area and who are eligible for consideration on the basis of their score in the Consortium 11+ test will be offered places only if there are spaces available after all applicants residing within the Admission Area have been considered and the last applicants from the waiting list allocated places.

So, yes, unlikely to get a place from outside the area, but not due to not putting them first.
Looking at their Admission Area, it includes TW3, TW4 and TW5 - do these cover Hounslow?

Technically, I suppose the reason the OP's niece wasn't offered a place at Langley was because she was allocated a place at a school her parents had indicated to be a higher preference; only the school or the LA can say whether she would have been high enough up the list to have been offered a place when the school ranked applications initially, or whether she would have been turned down due to oversubscription. That would seem to be the issue on which eligibility for the waiting list hinges ( it certainly can't legally be what position the school was put on the CAF).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx