Sports and Music At Chesham Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinsel

Sports and Music At Chesham Grammar School

Post by Tinsel »

Hi. Can anyone advise on what the sports and music provision is like at Chesham Grammar. Our DS is both sporty and musical and we just wanted to know how active the school is in promoting this eg. tournaments, after school clubs, competitions etc.
Guest55

Re: Sports and Music At Chesham Grammar School

Post by Guest55 »

Have you checked out the school website?
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

The problem Chesham Grammar has where competitive sport is concerned is that many of the local GSs are single s-e-x. It's not a very level playing field as Chesham has only half the number of student from which to select, and schools such as RGS (rugby) and DCGS (football and cricket) are much, much stronger.

But of course that's only at the 'top end'; sports provision at Chesham Grammar is very good.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The flip side to that is at a mixed GS more pupils can represent the school and have the opportunity to captain teams.

At several single s-e-x GS they are only interested in their first team and anyone that doesn't make that gets no opportunity at all.

I know a lot of talented sportspeople who play at District level that have never made a school team ...
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Oh yes, quite so Guest55, it's swings and roundabouts and depends what the OP – or rather their DS – is looking for.

I have two DCs I would describe in general terms as 'sporty', but one of them concentrates on playing a single sport to a high level while the other has represented school at 8 or 9 different sports but has no desire to focus on one or two. They therefore want different things out of their school sport…

And yes one is at a mixed school and the other is not.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rob Clark wrote:the other has represented school at 8 or 9 different sports but has no desire to focus on one or two. They therefore want different things out of their school sport…
I had no idea there were 8 or 9 different school sports. :D
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

They have the sport centre next door, and the range of sports on offer is generally larger than the single sex schools - my son got the chance to partake in netball, yoga, etc as well as traditional football, rugby, basketball.
LeprechaunQueen

Post by LeprechaunQueen »

Hi Tinsel

Can't speak for sport but the music is excellent at CGS - the school concerts have improved every year since 2006, and that from a perfectly creditable base; now really quite something. A strong orchestra, jazz band, brass ensemble, energetic house music competitions and a good musical stage-show each year, a few excellent individual instrumentalists in NYO. Class music seems creative too, given the territory (I am not a fan of GCSE in its current forms but a reasonable number seem to stay the course to A2). Music is highly valued at this school.
Tinsel

Post by Tinsel »

Thank you everyone for your responses, it all sounds very positive.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now