Appeal on distance/ possible medical grounds

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lauraplus5

Appeal on distance/ possible medical grounds

Post by lauraplus5 »

I am in the lucky position that my son has been offered a grammar school which was his second choice but we'd like to appeal for the Simon Langton school in Canterbury which was 1st choice. We live 12 miles away and the catchment area is 9 miles so that is the reason he was not accepted. He scored 141 across the board on his Kent test so he meets the criteria they set on scores. I just wanted to know if anyone has had any success in a similar situation? I am also unsure if we should go down the medical route as the school has an ASD unit. My son has ASD traits and is on a very long waiting list for assessment. He is not severe enough to need a statement, so would not secure a place in the unit - but with his traits the outreach of the unit in this school would benefit him greatly. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Etienne

Re: Appeal on distance/ possible medical grounds

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)

I've no particular knowledge of this school, but there are certainly cases nationally that succeed on the basis of:
    • (a) medical/social need, and

(b) the extent to which the child would benefit from what is offered by the school
      [in this instance the outreach work of the ASD unit you mention].
The greater the need, and the greater the potential benefit, then clearly the stronger the appeal case becomes.

There are a number of factors that can affect the outcome of an appeal, some of which are completely outside your control:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#c20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now