Two grammar schools having same exam date

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

aks2621

Two grammar schools having same exam date

Post by aks2621 »

Hi

My daughter wants to appear for Kendrick grammar school as well as Chelmsford Grammar school for girls.
It's been found out that both have same test date i.e. 13th Sept.
In this scenario, how can she appear for both tests?

Please advice what can be done in this scenario.

ta
Aks
hermanmunster

Re: Two grammar schools having same exam date

Post by hermanmunster »

Where do you live? these schools are 88 miles apart!

There are only limited days on which exams can be taken and I don't suppose many people would be doing both of these - you can try asking the schools but I don't expect they will be able to do much about it - probably best if you take the one nearest to where you live.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

You will need to be catchment for Kendrick by mid June BEFORE the test to be counted as being in catchment.

If you are not already in catchment by then, the numbers taking the test from inside catchment probably mean there's not much point taking the test as you aren't going to get a place.

No idea about the other school. A number of schools are changing their admissions criteria concerning the address and date.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Chelmsford County High School allocates 80% of its places to girls living within 12.5 miles of the school as of October 31st 2014. Only 24 places are allocated by highest score alone.

You are trying to have your cake and eat it (unless you satisfy the residence requirement for one of the schools already.)
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Maybe the OP lives in catchment on one, and wishes to take both as they move move if dc gets in at the other?
Anyway, I would call and ask, with illness/other excuses there always seems to be a follow up second chance date, which is regularly talked about with most schools on here, so I would certainly ask.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Moving after the test results will not be an option for Kendrick. You have to be catchment when you register for the test (some time in June is the closing date) to be counted as being in catchment.

OP could already be in Kendrick catchment (approx 15 miles) and wanting to apply to Chelmsford as well.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I think they are both CEM, perhaps she was hoping to use one as a mock for the other.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I think they are both CEM, perhaps she was hoping to use one as a mock for the other.
Noooo, that's what the bucks cem is for :roll: crank our standardised pass mark up another few notches!

Poor aka, has us all in suspenders? What is the cunning plan aka, is your family unfortunately split between Essex and Berkshire or are you just entering your daughter in tests nationwide?
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Reading School have stated this in their admissions info - I wonder if it will apply elsewhere

"There will be other schools that will be using the same tests as Reading School. If your son takes our test after this date and is found to have taken the same test, then we will use the raw scores from the first test he took, even if it was at another school."
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Unfortunately this refers to same test, not same test provider. Each area supposedly has their own cem test developed to meet the local grammar schools specification. Bucks should theoretically be a bit simpler than berks, as every child in the Bucks cc LA is entered for it automatically, but who really knows except the test producers?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now