medawy passmark

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

georgina

medawy passmark

Post by georgina »

I was just reading the kent forum and i would reiterate what anne 42 asked,please does anyone know what the rough pass mark is for medway.

Post by Guest »

My daughter is tutored in Medway and she will sit both the Medway and Kent tests. According to her tutor the pass mark for Maths last year in Medway was under 40%. I found this hard to believe bt it was confirmed in postings to this site in the past.
Do not know about VB or English though so would appreciate responses from anyone in the know too!
Conflicted

Post by Conflicted »

The problem is there is such conflicting opinions everywhere. My child's tutor says to aim for 80% in maths.

Who to believe?
06 11plusser

Passmark

Post by 06 11plusser »

The standardised 'passmark' for 2006 in Medway was 519. This was high in comparison with previous years. In 2002 it was 504.
gu3st

Post by gu3st »

the difficult thing about standardised scores though is that when doing practice papers with your child you just don't know if their score is enough, unless you know EVERYONE elses scores.

its like swimming through jelly! :)
georgina

medway pasmark

Post by georgina »

thanks for all your responses ,but how are these standardised scores translated into raw scores so that we can see the expected percentages from the practise papers.
gu3st

Post by gu3st »

sorry, Georgina, maybe didnt make it clear enough. you CANNOT possible translate raw scores into the possible total of 700 points in the real thing. The english max standardised score is 280, maths 280, vr 140. For example if the top 25% ranged from 55% - 79% then the lowest pass mark for that paper would have been 55%. But how do you know if 55% is good enough? The cohort this year could be slightly brighter, more prepared or possible even les bright as last year.

What i'm saying is that you cannot translate their raw scores into standardised scores. it is a very complex thing that involves bell graphs etc. and children being compared with the other children from their birth month.

Hope this clarifies. :(
tim

Re: medway pasmark

Post by tim »

georgina wrote:thanks for all your responses ,but how are these standardised scores translated into raw scores so that we can see the expected percentages from the practise papers.
The practical advice is that your child does their best as it all depends how well everybody else does.

My son took the 11+ last year and pased with a score of 124 in the maths paper. When he practiced at home on the NFER paper he % scores ranged from 69% to 85%. How that translates into a score in the actual test is a mystery known to the statisticans at NFER.

The pass mark was unbelievably high last year - set at 519, my son scored 574. In 2004 my daughter sat the test and the pass mark was 509 and she scored 578.

So it all depends on how well your child is prepared on the day compared to everybody else, and you won't know that until they sit the test.
guestt

Post by guestt »

My son took the 11+ last year and pased with a score of 124 in the maths paper. When he practiced at home on the NFER paper he % scores ranged from 69% to 85%. .[/quote]

my child sat medway test today - said lots of unusual stuff not in nfer and bond papers. was this the case last year for your son?
guestt

Post by guestt »

tim wrote: My son took the 11+ last year and pased with a score of 124 in the maths paper. When he practiced at home on the NFER paper he % scores ranged from 69% to 85%.
sorry Tim, that quote didn't work. Last year did your son say there were lots of questions that werent in bond and nfer?