Commute central colchester to KEGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesatea

Commute central colchester to KEGS

Post by Minesatea »

Does anyone have experience of a DC commuting from Colchester to KEGS. Is trains the best/only option or is there a suitable bus?
KB

Re: Commute central colchester to KEGS

Post by KB »

Would imagine the 70 would work? Guess it depends how far you are from station but imagine the train would be quicker if the timetable fits?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Looking at the First website, the no 70 bus leaving Osborne Street at 0615 (0620 on non-school days) arrives at the bus station in Chelmsford an hour and fifty minutes later. The 71 / 71A looks a bit quicker than the 70, but still takes well over an hour according to the timetable. I (or my DS) would have to be very keen on buses to want to sit on one for such a long time each way when the train is so much quicker :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Thanks, the public buses do not seem to be an option, the boys had already rejected that route. We were just wondering if there was any private bus/minibus running we were not aware of. If not it would have to be bus to colchester station and train to Chelmsford. (This is academic at the moment as they do not have places yet and may not get them, but they wanted to be happy that the journey is reasonable).
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Minesatea wrote:(This is academic at the moment as they do not have places yet and may not get them, but they wanted to be happy that the journey is reasonable).
Definitely not unreasonable - good choice of buses down North Hill - about half an hour on the train and then a fifteen minute walk from Chelmsford station.

Not going to suggest it to DS though. CRGS would do us nicely (please .... :) :) )
KB

Post by KB »

Not aware of any special transport but KEGS office would probably know. Due to relative cut offs I guess not many travel this direction? Or is 6th form?
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Yes, inquiring for some boys applying for sixth form.
KB

Post by KB »

In which case they might be in a position to be car sharing from mid year 12/year 13 depending on birthdays?
moved

Post by moved »

push-pull-mum wrote:
Minesatea wrote:(This is academic at the moment as they do not have places yet and may not get them, but they wanted to be happy that the journey is reasonable).
Definitely not unreasonable - good choice of buses down North Hill - about half an hour on the train and then a fifteen minute walk from Chelmsford station.

Not going to suggest it to DS though. CRGS would do us nicely (please .... :) :) )
15 minutes to KEGS would be going at a traditional teenage pace. I walk from past CCHS to the station every day in about 15 minutes. Funny, DD is planning on travelling from our house, almost next to ChCHS, all the way to Colchester each day!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

KB wrote:In which case they might be in a position to be car sharing from mid year 12/year 13 depending on birthdays?
Personally, I would have to be anaesthetised before I could contemplate letting DS1 drive up and down the A12 every day at the age of 17...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now