Advise on all books important for CEM style exam please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Icepop

Advise on all books important for CEM style exam please

Post by Icepop »

Hi all :D

Wanted to know if I should be doing the other topic books like cloze, 3d shapes and numerical reasoning :?: ( meaning to do all the books up for sale)Or stick to some selective ones which cover all topics. As time is short I needed some good advice please, anyone that has prepared their child for CEM exam In the past please :arrow: PM me, most appreciated.

Like to add that I'm new this forum, and reading other peoples honest advice on various topics has been a huge help.

Thank you ice pop :)
kenyancowgirl

Re: Advise on all books important for CEM style exam please

Post by kenyancowgirl »

My advice would be make sure your child has a secure and (very) quick recall of times tables and reads avidly, including checking understanding of any unfamiliar words. The key with CEM is to work quickly and accurately and to be prepared to expect the unexpected. I have had two dc go through CEM and both papers were very different in style and content, although they did both contain Maths, NVR and VR and there was a Cloze passage in the VR. The best thing is to ensure your dc can problem solve - isn't thrown by something unfamiliar and learns the skills to unpick a question and work out what they are actually asking them to do.
Icepop

Re: Advise on all books important for CEM style exam please

Post by Icepop »

Thank you kenyancowgirl for the detailed reply,
I will be taking up your good advice straight away! My daughter overall works very hard at school and at home and was finding the verbal and non-verbal all exciting stuff and was spending less time on other subjects. The change to CEM has been a positive change and that children will be spending time on the more important subjects.
Thank you again for your very helpful advice :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now