11 plus tutor stress

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Chopsbubbly

11 plus tutor stress

Post by Chopsbubbly »

I'm new to this site, am trying to work my way around it! Am putting my son in for the entrance exams for QE boys, MHCHS and SW consortium schools . Can't believe how hard it is to find a decent tutor recommendation! Any advice would be appreciated. Am also wandering if anyone knows if my son can sit both the a endemic tests and music route at MHCHS???

Thanks in advance....!!
Daogroupie

Re: 11 plus tutor stress

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes, he can sit both tests. What sort of prep have you been doing? DG
Chopsbubbly

Post by Chopsbubbly »

Thanks! Has been doing the bond tests, some sims & schofield mental arithmetic level 5, and also attending verbal reasoning prep class at his state school ( really lucky they are doing one!). Am gathering all the info to try and get as much work done at home aswell as tutor e.g the GL papers, CGP etc. Do you think I'm on the right lines???

My son has been playing the trombone for about a year so am hoping that may help, he's a bright boy, but as so many others have commented, not used to the test environment so need to work on that!

Thanks
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

Hi Chopsbubbly

PM'd you. I hope that helps. Not a complete solution, but something.

brimoyuyu

Post by brimoyuyu »

Hi.
I sent you a PM. GOOD LUCK
Chopsbubbly

Post by Chopsbubbly »

Thanks so much to all who have responded, really helpful. Am having a panic , just had a baby so organising a tutor went out the window for a few months , now realised mill hill start there tests early in June! My son is pretty bright but not great with sitting timed tests and struggles with some of the books as the work hasn't always been covered in school, particularly with maths. Finding a tutor that knows these schools and is available has been tricky. Fingers crossed!
felinefrenzi

Post by felinefrenzi »

Hi, preparing for the exams is not easy, I have just been through it. Are you going to sit the SW Herts exam in September ? If you state school if helping with VR that's fantastic, do you mind me asking what that school is?
davidsdad02

Post by davidsdad02 »

I put my son through to QE. I never even considered tutoring because I thought they were basically shysters if you are going for super-selectives like QE boys.
VH73

Post by VH73 »

I supposed you had enough time and knowledge to cover all topics which can come up in the test. Well I don't have neither, I must admit I needed a tutor, I still have to work, but makes it easier.
piggys

Post by piggys »

davidsdad02; I am a tutor and a good one. All my work - and I have plenty - is through recommendation. I am well educated, a qualified teacher and I mark for AQA. I am certainly not a 'shyster'. You would do well to avoid such incendiary and offensive comments.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now