Combe Bank senior school at risk?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PB Mum

Combe Bank senior school at risk?

Post by PB Mum »

Is it just rumour (which I'm propagating by posting, I guess...), or are they running into financial difficulties with falling numbers...I gather there are only 14 girls in year 11 now, and from their website there were 19 leavers (Y13) in 2011...?
kwest

Re: Combe Bank senior school at risk?

Post by kwest »

You can look at the accounts of independent schools on the charity commission website. It's very easy. That will give you an idea.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Well, I'm no expert, but I've had a look and it seems fine to me. At 31st August 2011 they had almost £2million in the bank, and they paid off their only bank debt (£250,000) last September over a year earlier than they needed to. Not the action of a school in trouble I'd have thought.
Loopy
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't know. They do always seem to have run on mysteriously low numbers. Don't they get some money from some charitable foundation or other, so they seem always to operate with student numbers that other schools would fold with? I don't know, I've always found it a mystery. If the accounts do look healthy then hopefully no need to worry - although of course account tell you about the past not the future.

Have numbers dropped significantly in all year groups? Don't jump to conclusions based on one year group only. Their fees are high so presumably 14 girls a in a year groups would be at least "break-even".
doodles

Post by doodles »

They have been running on small classes for the last 40 years at least...
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Perhaps that was why we managed to beat them at netball about 35 years ago :lol: :lol: :lol:

I always remember the school, because it was the only one my team ever beat :oops:
lurker

Post by lurker »

Thought I would bump this thread to see if anyone has any news on Combe Bank. They are taking boys now and there is talk of mixed age group teaching.
I am slightly worried as have a daughter due to start there in Sept.
She has TGS as state option but has special needs which they didn't seem to interested in catering for at TGS.

Combe bank has been brilliant with her and was the better option. Now I am wondering what to do.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hello !

I have just checked and there is no possibility of mixed age group classes. Huge sigh of relief as we really like this school !

xx
lurker

Post by lurker »

Yes, agreed. Just the rumour mill again.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I've looked on the Charities Commission website again, more up to date information is now available. This is a quote from the school's accounts:The school is in sound financial health at the end of the year, with secure finances and efficient financial
management. The surplus of income over expenditure for the year amounted to £5,314 (2011: £101,000). This
surplus has been added to reserves brought forward.

They still have about £2million cash in the bank, and have now put £1million of it on long term deposit. They also spent £40,000 on surveyors fees, maybe for a new science block?
Seems to be quite sound.

Fee income was down though, presumably numbers too, which probably explains the decision to admit boys.
Loopy