Prepositional phrases and 11+ exams

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fatbananas

Prepositional phrases and 11+ exams

Post by fatbananas »

Hi all!

For 11+ exams, do DC need to know such prepositional phrases as: "by virtue of" "in addition to" etc? or just single word prepositions?

(so much of this does not seem to be covered by KS2 teaching in schools ....)
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
fatbananas

Re: Prepositional phrases and 11+ exams

Post by fatbananas »

Hello, Just bumping this up the list again! Anyone any thoughts?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Ds2 recently covered prepositional phrases, and had a homework for it, but he is half way through year 6. Doubt "by virtue of" would arise, but maybe just show your dc, that they do not have to be a location but in nearly all cases have a simple preposition word, e.g...the word "by" in your example, as part of the phrase. So teach him to recognise one rather than just use one without realising he has used it.

There is a small chance that a comprehension may ask the pupil to find and copy a prepositional phrase, I have seen this sort of thing before, but do not ask we where, it just rings a bell in my addled mind.
Last edited by southbucks3 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

southbucks3 wrote:Ds2 recently covered propositional phrases, and had a homework for it, but he is half way through year 6. Doubt "by virtue of" would arise, but maybe just show your dc, that they do not have to be a location but in nearly all cases have a simple preposition word, e.g...the word "by" in your example, as part of the phrase. So teach him to recognise one rather than just use one without realising he has used it.

There is a small chance that a comprehension may ask the pupil to find and copy a propositional phrase, I have seen this sort of thing before, but do not ask we where, it just rings a bell in my addled mind.

Thanks Southbucks3: that's really helpful.

Hope you don't mind that I enjoyed your typo. It's been a long time since I've had to find and copy a 'propositional' phrase! :lol:
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

My dd & ds tell me they are examined on the ks2 grammar test. They think only in the level 6 paper. Level 3-5 only has prepositions not phrases. However this is their knowledge, not necessarily a reliable source!
However both seem very knowledgable (dd-y7 & ds-y6)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hope you don't mind that I enjoyed your typo. It's been a long time since I've had to find and copy a 'propositional' phrase! :lol:

Right....that is the very last time I ..... :lol:
Blame my dh, He was too mean to buy be a bigger phone, also blame ds1 who stole my stylus, in fact blame anyone but me...I am perfect. 8)

Just noticed I did it twice! The speed typing thing that copies words previously used has just been removed from my phone...I would rather avoid the shame, but slowly. :oops:
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks Bobmum3. We shall certainly have a look at them on that basis!

Southbucks3: it's a lifesaver sometimes when we can all have a laugh about prepositional/ propositional phrases! Perhaps prepositional phrases could also be propositional phrases (I'm thinking where or when something happens!) :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now