Private prep for year 5 and 6 or move house?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kpat

Private prep for year 5 and 6 or move house?

Post by Kpat »

Dear readers. I wondered if you could advise on best way forward for my yr 4 child. Following parents evening it was stated that she performs at level 4 but only fleetingly and is generally a 3c. So big difference.
My child has many friends at school for various reasons that I won't go into. I haven't been happy with this for a while and we have triedmfriendship groups etc. subsequently she has a doesn't care attitude at school and feels excluded. I think this affects her work and attainment levels.

I was thinking of a private prep for two years to boost her attainment. Hopefully then 11+ but unlikely to be successful as it currently stands I think. I don't want to pressure her for 11+ if she isn't't able. But also feel we won't ever know what she is able to achieve in her current school due to her not being happy with lack of friendship groups.
Should ifocusin education and go the prep route. We would then have to go back to state if she didn't get into a grammar. Or would our money best spent on moving into catchment for a good secondary school (thinking bullers wood).

The rationale behind this last option is that the two years prep would put her at the top of her game (whatever that might be) so she has the confidence (which she lacks at the moment) to do her best in the state secondary. Hopenthismall makes sense.

The prep would be a struggle but doable. Thanks for reading.
Kpat

Re: Private prep for year 5 and 6 or move house?

Post by Kpat »

Sorry for typos. I meant that she HASN'T got many friends.
Rao

Post by Rao »

I think it is a good idea of moving into catchment of a secondary school.

It was our plan Z ( we also moved into Bullerswoods catchment :-) )

It reduces pressure of having to do good in GS exams :D

Don't worry about levels at school and you still have 1 and 1/2 years. If done properly kids can do wonders...it narrows down to right preparation and attitude.
robofish

Post by robofish »

We did the same, moving to the Langley Park catchment. It gave us a headache though. The LP school is so good we were undecided right up to the last as to whether to put that as first priority or the grammar school that my son had got into. We eventually decided on the GS.

Upside: our younger son also has the comfort of knowing he will get into a good school.
Downside: our first son's journey to GS would actually have been considerably easier from our old house!
VanillaLatte

Post by VanillaLatte »

We were/are in similar situation. Bad primary, not great achievements of ds, not many friends and aim for GS. Most parents very happy with the school, myself - worst school ever. Also current house not in cathcment of any of the outstanding schools re secondary/GS.

We are moving house. And ds is tutored since March. Results went up gradually in Maths, still not great at English, but DS understands why we need to move and what is required from him. It is a lot of preassure involved from his and my side. Tutoring is not enough, we work together at least one hour per day.

At the moment we are looking at Bexley/Dartford heavily. A lot of viewings in the last two months as well and saving for deposit. Houses very expensive and small:-(

I know the dilemma about the priorities. Still not decisive as it is tough. Bexley/Kent exams give more options though. 2 years of additional studdying and reading definatelly helps unless the dc has real difficulties.

Not the best advice I guess as we still have this on-going.
VanillaLatte

Post by VanillaLatte »

robofish wrote:We did the same, moving to the Langley Park catchment. It gave us a headache though. The LP school is so good we were undecided right up to the last as to whether to put that as first priority or the grammar school that my son had got into. We eventually decided on the GS.

Upside: our younger son also has the comfort of knowing he will get into a good school.
Downside: our first son's journey to GS would actually have been considerably easier from our old house!
In which GS is your ds now - Olaves? Asking as we will apply there as well, however considering how selecive is, do not really think he will get there.

Thanks.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now