AGSB- travel arrangments.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Oshosh

AGSB- travel arrangments.

Post by Oshosh »

Last edited by Oshosh on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TIDDLYMUM

Re: AGSB- travel arrangments.

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Isn't there a bus from Warrington? There are quite a few boys in my sons year from over that way. I want to say the no5 ? You will find posts of here about it.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Thanks TM, yes there is a bus. But bus leaves at 7:10, if we can organise a taxi/mini bus....then it would be a bit later and coming back would be also quicker.
AGSBdad

Post by AGSBdad »

There are lots of students on no 5 bus from Warrington. My son is in year 7 & travels by that bus everyday & loves it. In fact he usually refuses our offer to drop him.
There are 2 buses used by students - the earlier bus reaches AGSB at around 7:55 (I think 7:10 from Warrington) & the later bus is meant to reach AGSB at about 8:23 but is generally delayed by traffic.
I have started a petition on http://www.fixmytransport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
http://www.fixmytransport.com/campaigns ... no-5-bus-t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully the above link will work, otherwise you might have to manually search for that topic under Warrington borough transport. If there is enough support they might change the timings slightly so that our kids can leave later & reach on time.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Thanks AGSBdad, i was talking about the mayne coach, but i do know about the no 5. Could i ask about where it stops near the school and which place does your Ds get on it after school.

We are really thinking of a taxi share....but if nothing works out, then i have to start thinking other alternatives.
AGSBdad

Post by AGSBdad »

Most students get off & on at Ashley Road stop which is just after the traffic lights.
It's about 1-2 mins walk from stop to school.
prep4tomm

Post by prep4tomm »

Anybody travelling from Wilmslow / Poynton by bus? How is the connectivity and which bus-stops near AGSB do the children get off the bus? Its quite daunting to work out the travel arrangements. Living out of catchment makes it that much harder :( I wonder how DS will cope with the long travel time!

Will really appreciate if someone can share information about buses from Wilmslow / Poynton..

Thanks & Regards //
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I don't think Poynton to Alty is the easiest journey by bus, unless one runs along the raod where the tunnels are near the airport?

Otherwise. Train to Stockport, Train from Stockport to Alty. Train to Stockport from Alty is only 16 mins and even stops at Hale which is literally 5 mins from school. Trouble is- it leaves Stockport on the half hour so half seven and half 8, so too early or too late. I did see if I could get them to change it, without success. An 8am/815 train would be brilliant!!
prep4tomm

Post by prep4tomm »

Thanks Tiddlymum! :D Any idea about connections from Wilmslow? I chked there is bus 88 which runs from Knutsford till Alty interchange via Wilmslow. But the walk from there to school is arnd 20 mins according to google maps.
Any idea if there are kids on this bus for AGBS? I have to chk the bus times too, to make sure that he reaches on time , not too early or late!
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

No idea about Wilmslow, I live in Stockport, ,my son gets the must at 7.05 ish - public bus to Alty - takes about an hour. He prefers it to the school bus from East Didsbury.

In fact- if you could get him to one of school buses ( they are actually for the girls but boys get on them too) that might be better. I'd suggest on route (Heald Green/Airport/Cheadle if you could get him there?) rather than him getting to ED for 7.15 then sitting on a bus to school for an hour.

Check on TFGM website school services for the school routes under AGGS. then we used it it was fairly reliable though the tram work at the airport means the bus leaves earlier than it used to.

The school bus drops on Hale Road right near school- but if te option you choose drops off in the centre then there are hordes of boys and girls all going the same way, he woiuld be perfectly safe. My son does that walk here and back each day- its a great social time ( and I suspect 'meeting up with the Alty girls time' :wink: )

Let me know if you have any other questions- it was my major concern when we accepted the place- but it all works out somehow!!