Calling all Skinners' mums

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Enid

Calling all Skinners' mums

Post by Enid »

I wonder if any Skinners' mums out there could help me? My son did well in the Kent Test (over 400) but not quite enough to get into Skinners. He did less well than we thought he would, but then everyone probably thinks that! He is a Level 5a for maths and doing Level 6 Literacy.

My question is: do you feel that Skinners is happy to help any boy who may be having difficulties in a certain academic area or are they just left to get on with it, sink or swim? I have heard rumours that Skinners doesn't wait for boys that can't keep up.

My son's teacher has told me that he would be absolutely fine at Skinners (or Judd for that matter).

The reason I am asking is that I'm still pondering whether to go on the waiting list for Skinners or not. Does anyone have a son who had a "lower" score than the initial cut-off for Skinners and then got in. Have they had any problems at all?

Probably a bit late in the day to ask this, but I'm sure someone out there may be able to help.

Thanks x
klmh1968

Re: Calling all Skinners' mums

Post by klmh1968 »

Hi Enid

My DS is in year 8 at Skinners and is enjoying every moment of it. If you like the feel of Skinners and think that it will suit your son then pop him on the waiting list. I was fortunate that DS obtained his first choice but he says that there are loads of kids in his class who received a place via the waiting list with a score of less than 410.

Pastorally Skinners is fab. They support the boys incredibly well and DS had the option of trying out for Cranbrook School for year 9 but was aghast at the suggestion!
edmum

Post by edmum »

My eldest is at Judd ( he got full marks ) and my younger one has a Skinners place for this year. He only just got in with his score!
My opinion is don't worry about the absolute score but look at their personality and work ethic. I can only speak for Judd but that environment is perfect for mine- at a lower achieving school he would skink down so he needs competition.

My other son has a fantastic work effort and even if he is not the brightest it won't bother him at all. ( saying that he wanted to go on Judd waiting list and IF he did get a place I will be thinking like you. )

Really what I am saying is ignore that mark ( its a daft exam) and think about his personality and what he wants? There is no harm on going on the waiting list and then see what happens…. Go with your heart.

( If you don;t go on the list and other boys go with the same score how will you / he feel?)) Best of luck xx
bertalone

Post by bertalone »

I also have a DS in year 8 and although his maths was good, his literacy was not great at primary school. (He didn't even get a level 5 for the writing!) He's managed just fine in the English lessons. He had a friend who got in off the waiting list and is now in one of the two higher maths groups and doing well. It sounds as though your DS is perfectly capable from his current National Curriculum levels. They're really a much better indication than a one off, stressful set of tests.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I have two lads at Skinners and I can't speak highly enough of the school. They are two very different boys, one sciences/one languages; one very academic (full marks in 11+)/one more sporty than that (at the lower end of the offers for his year)! The school has catered for them both brilliantly and I would say that the pastoral care is second to none.

Please don't worry about the results of one exam on one day, think about the broader picture - sounds as if he would be fine.
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

Enid wrote:I wonder if any Skinners' mums out there could help me? My son did well in the Kent Test (over 400) but not quite enough to get into Skinners. He did less well than we thought he would, but then everyone probably thinks that! He is a Level 5a for maths and doing Level 6 Literacy.

My question is: do you feel that Skinners is happy to help any boy who may be having difficulties in a certain academic area or are they just left to get on with it, sink or swim? I have heard rumours that Skinners doesn't wait for boys that can't keep up.

My son's teacher has told me that he would be absolutely fine at Skinners (or Judd for that matter).

The reason I am asking is that I'm still pondering whether to go on the waiting list for Skinners or not. Does anyone have a son who had a "lower" score than the initial cut-off for Skinners and then got in. Have they had any problems at all?

Probably a bit late in the day to ask this, but I'm sure someone out there may be able to help.

Thanks x
Yes i'd put him on the wait list for Skinners and Judd, you have nothing to lose. Four years ago the deputy at Judd told me anyone getting over 400 would be a suitable candidate for super selective its just that competition is so fierce. The 11 plus judges them on how they perform in 3 small tests. Whose to say how he'll be in science, languages where they all start pretty much from scratch in year 7.

often surprising how much the scores come down too - good luck x
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Hello skinners' mums and dads! I guess that's me too.

My ds got in by the skin of his teeth, but I'm not concerned by that. I'm sure whatever their score as long as it's 400+ will cope well and flourish.

Good luck for your ds :D
Enid

Post by Enid »

Hello Skinners' mums, thank you all so much for replying and for your words of encouragement. Interesting point that anything over 400 is considered super! He's a bright lad and enjoys learning - he'd clearly have like-minded friends there.

I will now stop dithering about!

Thank you all :)
Darcy

Post by Darcy »

Skinners is a fantastic school. The exam gives just a snippet of what a child is capable of and there are so many intervening variables that effect the final score, from distraction in the exam room, health, study, luck etc. The exam is just a vehicle for entrance and he will soon realise that if he puts the work in he will be rewarded. I have one child at the school who has been very happy there from the start and another joining in September. Good luck, I hope he gets a place