Orpington Near by Area - Advise Please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tand

Orpington Near by Area - Advise Please

Post by tand »

Hi,
DS got into St Olave - thanks for immensely help by forum members.
Now need to plan to orpington area as we are moving from north of UK.

Kindly advise pointers to near by area which are commutable to Orpington.

Thanks,
Tand
parent2013

Re: Orpington Near by Area - Advise Please

Post by parent2013 »

Orpington itself is a lovely area. Why do you want to commute from anywhere else?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

parent2013 wrote:Orpington itself is a lovely area. Why do you want to commute from anywhere else?
Not sure that "lovely" is an adjective that I would have used for Orpington, but it's a while since I was there :) . For some reason my abiding memory is of the stressful experience of parking in a multi-storey car park at the Walnuts Centre. A friend of mine has lived just up the way In Petts Wood for years, though, so she must be happy there. It's certainly a convenient area to live in if you need to commute into London yourself.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

I live in Petts Wood too, beautiful area excellent train lines (not as good as Orpington which has a fast line!)
tand

Post by tand »

Dear All,
Thanks for your suggestions. Orpington seems to be bit costly in comparison hence I am looking slightly affordable areas which are easily commutable to Orpington / St Olave school say 20-30 mins.
I need to relocate (anyway) from other side of country hence I am trying to explore options.

Any advise please.

Thanks
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

For travelling to London, you will defo get a seat on boarding train from Orp but have to be lucky if boarding at Petts wood.

In Orp, be ready to shell out in excess of 0.5 million for a decent 4 bed detached house. Petts Wood is nicer than Orpington but it is hard to get something nice and at the same time "affordable" :). South of Orp is Sevenoaks and Tonbridge nicer but dearer. You may explore Swanley/Dartford/Bexley (8-10 miles) on Rightmove.

I don't like Walnuts. There are no decent shops out there. The high street is full of alright restaurant but tons of other shops you may not like to visit (Poundland, Charity shops and cash for gold type). The better options for shopping are Bromley/Nugent Park/Bluewater.
Filitosa96

Post by Filitosa96 »

If you are willing to provide a rough budget and what you are hoping for (flat, house, no of bedrooms) perhaps we can give you some pointers. Orpington is a big area with cheaper and more expensive housing. If you feel the cheap end of Orpington is stretching your budget then tbh you are going to struggle to find something in the surrounding areas.
Welling and Blackfen are possibilities - the 51 bus would take your son to school and Welling is on the Bexleyheath line into the centre of London.
tand

Post by tand »

don;t mind to go to flat - looking for 2 bedrooms. budget is around 2.5
I will explore area which you mentioned.
please suggest if there is any other area which are easily commutable to school
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

You may also consider Green Street Green which is approx 2 miles from Olave's and may get 2 bed house for around 250-275K mark. It also has an outstanding primary school (just in case you also have a younger one). The flats near the end of Orp High street are also around the same range and 5-7 mins walk from train station.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

The St Pauls Cray / St Marys Cray areas may be worth a look. They are the most affordable parts of Orpington and within your budget you may be able to buy a 2 or 3 bed ex-local authority house, within 20-30 mins commute of St Olaves.