Can primary headteacher attend appeal with me?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ilovemykids

Can primary headteacher attend appeal with me?

Post by Ilovemykids »

My sons did not pass his 11+ and his headteacher did not submit a headteachers appeal, however he has since changed his view and along with my sons class teachers they all agree he would be best suited to the Grammar School.

He has offered his support submit evidence and write a letter, plus to attend the appeal hearing with me.

Would this be seen as better than attending alone? Would his presence help and be seen as a positive thing by the panel? or would it make no difference.

As much as I appreciate his support I don't know whether i'd feel more comfortable with a family member alongside as i'm not overly confident about putting my case across, or if I should accept his offer because it might enhance my case the fact he is supporting my appeal and has evidence of my sons academic abilities
Optymum

Re: Can primary headteacher attend appeal with me?

Post by Optymum »

In our DS's year, there were a number of appeals, some for children who had passed the 11+ but either did not get a grammar/ grammar of their choice; and also a couple for children who had just missed out on the 11+. The Headteacher accompanied most of the parents, and I think it is useful especially if you are appealing on academic grounds, as if the headteacher feels the child is suited to Grammar that must add to your case. In most cases both parents attended with the Headteacher.
Hope that helps.
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Hi

We did an appeal (successful) for my older son. My personal view is that it depends on your HT. I found that ours was in the beginning rather focussed on the fact that my son is "nice and excels at sports" and would do well at a GS, rather than he was a level 5 across the board and G&T for maths and needed that particular GS.

If you can get your HT "on message" they would probably be worth taking but they need to know about appeals really and what evidence is useful. There is loads of info on this site, this bit might help though http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Katel did his appeal at the same time as mine and his quote in that link was really helpful to me in my discussions with our HT.

Good luck!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I am amazed at the disparity between schools in the same area, with some ops reporting their teachers will not even acknowledge existence of the 11+ process, and others having a head prepared to give up 2 hours of his day to support one child. What happens if every other parent demands the same?

Take the opportunity definitely, but as previous poster said make sure he will say what you expect and not go off on a tangent.

Does your dc attend an indie, or is this a state school head?

Very best of luck with the appeal x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now