SGS : CEM from 2014 .. any thoughts?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rainysunshine001

SGS : CEM from 2014 .. any thoughts?

Post by Rainysunshine001 »

Sale grammar to switch to CEM from sept., 2014. Is this going to be the first school in trafford to start CEM testing? What are your thoughts... is it a lot harder than GL? not 'tutorable'?
Also, does this mean Altrincham grammar might switch to CEM too? Would the general advice on this forum about CEM is applicable in this case?
Thanks in advance.

PS: because of the (sudden change; only a few months), I personally feel for the kids taking the 11+ exam this year. BTW, mine to sit next year.
NS1

Re: SGS : CEM from 2014 .. any thoughts?

Post by NS1 »

When did this happen? I am seriously depressed as my DS is due to sit the tests in Sept. And there seems to be so much change. Doesn't seem fair on the children.
Homebird

Post by Homebird »

How does CEM differ from GL?
SSZZF

Post by SSZZF »

Hi
We've just been sent an email from my children's primary school.
It will be 2 test of 45 minutes each. With a mixture of maths, verbal, non verbal.
I have family in Birmingham did these test last year. I saw the example test sheet they were given from the school. It looks harder !
rimi01

Post by rimi01 »

SSZZF wrote:Hi
We've just been sent an email from my children's primary school.
It will be 2 test of 45 minutes each. With a mixture of maths, verbal, non verbal.
I have family in Birmingham did these test last year. I saw the example test sheet they were given from the school. It looks harder !
Please can you paste the content of email here.
The website doesn't mention anything. It says "Information regarding admission procedures for 2015 will be available from 1st April 2014"....

What's with 2014 entrance exam? Whatever hapened to 1 year notice :shock: :oops:
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

It does look as if it is going to be CEM. "Sale Grammar School Entrance Tests 2014 will be provided by The University of Durham."

Taken from the website- def sounds liks CEM. :?:

It looks like the notice period includes admission year as well, eg, if you going to be in y7 sept 2015, and the exams changes in april 14 then there is more than 1 year notice.

What are we going to do :roll: .........

And btw- could someone tell me what CEM stands for.
parents666

Post by parents666 »

CEM- stands for centre for evaluation. This exam is basically tutor proof - assessing child's over all knowledge.
SSZZF

Post by SSZZF »

Hi
This website has good info about sale test

website removed from post by a modertor
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Oshosh wrote:It does look as if it is going to be CEM. "Sale Grammar School Entrance Tests 2014 will be provided by The University of Durham."

Taken from the website- def sounds liks CEM. :?:

It looks like the notice period includes admission year as well, eg, if you going to be in y7 sept 2015, and the exams changes in april 14 then there is more than 1 year notice.

What are we going to do :roll: .........

And btw- could someone tell me what CEM stands for.
Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring. It is the 11+ exam of choice now, across the country. Lots of information on the Birmingham and Warwickshire threads - it is supposed to be untutorable - I actually do think it is less tutorable than tests that have gone before but you can help prepare a child for it.
smiler10

Post by smiler10 »

Has anyone else noticed the date of the exam- Sept 13th, they are barely back at school!