Child is on Waiting List (Bucks) - advice needed please.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Gadnitt

Child is on Waiting List (Bucks) - advice needed please.

Post by Gadnitt »

I'm after some advice, hoping you can tell me whether I should take action or leave it.

My daughter sat for the CEM 11+ in September, in Bucks. She passed with a good score. We put her down for first choice of the nearest Grammar School, and second and third choices for the local Comprehensive Schools.

She got in to her second choice of school. She wasn't in catchment for the first school - their radius is 9 miles, and we are 12 miles away. She is (we hope) on the waiting list for the first choice. The question is whether anything else will take her case forward: her class teacher suggested we call the Grammar School and ask them to review her profile. I can see that if every hopeful parent did that, Admissions would be up in arms! But I'm sore that her high score is unrewarded after sitting the test caused her so much stress.

Can you offer me any advice, please? Thanks!
kenyancowgirl

Re: Child is on Waiting List (Bucks) - advice needed please.

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I would suggest that you ask the mods to move this to the Bucks section and/or appeals, as I think you would get more joy there. Good luck!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Gadnitt, and welcome!

I have removed references to your daughter's score from your post because score is not relevant. Any score over 121 is deemed qualified.
Gadnitt wrote:She wasn't in catchment for the first school - their radius is 9 miles, and we are 12 miles away. She is (we hope) on the waiting list for the first choice.
Have you told Bucks CC Admissions that you want to put her name on the waiting list?

If it is RLS that you applied to, the distance is unlikely to increase by 3 miles over subsequent allocation rounds. If it is Burnham, there is a small possibility of the waiting list delivering a place.
The question is whether anything else will take her case forward: her class teacher suggested we call the Grammar School and ask them to review her profile. I can see that if every hopeful parent did that, Admissions would be up in arms!

It will get you absolutely nowhere.

You need to lodge a formal oversubscription appeal. There is general advice about that here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... bed-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and information specific to Bucks here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=36418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If it's RLS then ask if you can apply to the Floyd - it has places!
Gadnitt

Post by Gadnitt »

Thanks for the welcome and the answer Sally.

We were all set to appeal. We've been buying a house, and it's within the 9 mile catchment area, but it's just fallen through. There's a bit of bitterness, mostly because of the house, but also because she deserved a place.

I'm sorry I added the score detail, and thanks for removing it.

We're happy with the local Choice 2 school. How would we go about applying to Sir Henry Floyd as Guest55 suggests?

Thanks

Gaby
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

You ask Bucks CC Admissions to add Floyd to your CAF as a new preference in second place. (RLS remains your first preference.)

It will (almost 100% certainly) deliver a place in the second round of allocations late next month.

The deadline for new preferences and waiting lists is Friday 21st March.
Gadnitt

Post by Gadnitt »

Thanks Sally-Anne and Guest55 for your advice. I called Floyd this morning, and they're showing us around the school on Wednesday (work was brill about giving me time for it!)

Daughter is very excited and I'm hopeful they'll offer a place.

Just a quick question: if she already has a place at the second choice, and I add Floyd, will she lose the place that she has? What would happen if we put Floyd as the first choice, then RLS *or the comp she has been offered* as the second choice?

Thanks
Gaby
Gadnitt

Post by Gadnitt »

Thanks for your help Guest55, she has been accepted into the school. *Victory dance* We're grateful for all the help and interest you've shown.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Gadnitt

Delighted to hear that have the place confirmed - well done!

herman
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Gadnitt - that's brilliant - it's a great school and I'm sure you won't regret changing your choice.

Induction day is 1st July with a parents evening the day before.